Discuss Contactor/overload wiring help pls... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks Ollie, yes it would've been better to use one of those, but unfortunately I was ill advised and now have to use what I have. If there's a simple way to wire up the existing unit to achieve thermal overload protection then that's the way to go.... don't really need the start/stop options, there's a simple reset button on the overload unit to press in the unlikely event of motor overload. The pump is serving a single property of just one occupant so unlikely to be any issues :)

Yes, I'm sure this was briefly covered during my college days but having never had to wire one in over 20 years it's not something I'm familiar with. I certainly don't recall being taught how to couple a thermal overload with one. Well done Dave if you can remember everything you learnt, I'm afraid I'm not that good :)

I don't remember everything I've learned, but I do have all of my textbooks and notes from when I was at a college which I regularly refer to for this sort of thing.

Just take a live to A1 via 95 and 96 (N/C) of the overload and Neutral to A2.

Loop the live for the motor round the contactor as previously illustrated.

Sewage pumps are prone to blockages which result in windings burning out, so the overload is installed to protect the motor.This should be set to the full load current as stated on the motor data plate.
Terminations as follows...
L1 is incoming live and L2 is incoming neutral.loop a wire from T2 to L3. Pump wires are now terminated live inT1 and neutral inT3
Next supply neutral to A2 and a live to 95NC and loop a wire from 96NC to A1.Terminate earths. Press reset on overload.Due to high start currents being in excess of 8X full load current on start up you might consider a C curve breaker.

Reply to Contactor/overload wiring help pls... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net