Discuss Contactors vs relays. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Does anyone know why contactors are more expensive than relays?

In my mind they do the same thing in fact relays do more (IE normally on/ normally off terminals) so why the difference in price IE contactors are more expensive, I don't get it.

Thanks.

In my expericance a contactor is also more dynamic in the sense you can add contacts to the front, thermal overloads to the bottom, interlocks etc etc

Where as a relay is just a relay...

Hey

just looked it up on Wiki out of interest and it appears the only difference in definition is that in fact as we know, contactors can deal with a higher current. Relays don't

Switching higher currents requires larger contacts and more copper and as we know copper is expensive stuff

A contactor will be rated to make up to 5 / 6 times it’s rated current and break it’s full rated current. Like a MCB it will have arc control devices. Often additional contact blocks can be added to give N/O N/C contacts for control circuits.
A relay is the weakling little brother.

Do contactors have enough internal resistance on their feed side to be wired straight into a circuit with only a light switch in it?

You know a 6 Amp MCB that feeds a light switch that then feeds the live side of the contactor and then from the neutral side of the contactor a neutral back to the board.

The supply side of the contactor would have a 6 Amp MCB feeding a line into the contactor and then a line out to a lamp/ lamps and then a neutral back to the board to complete the supply circuit.

Basically I want to use a contactor to feed our garage lights off an electric door, the electric door has a small light that illuminates when the door is opened and I want to use this lighting signal to switch on an few fluoro's.

The thing I am worried about is blowing the PCB in the garage door and that is why I am asking if contactors have an internal resistance on the feed side of the device, I would hate to think the contactor would allow enough current through it to blow the garage door control unit up.

So basically what sort of internal resistance are we looking at on the feed side of a contactor, how much current will they let through?

Thanks very much.

Last edited:
That is what they are designed for Poste.
A small current will flow as they lock in, then none.

IMO a contactor is a bigger relay.

Reply to Contactors vs relays. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock