Discuss Continental Light Switches: Are they a better design than UK ones? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

zsalya

-
Reaction score
I have moved from Britain to Poland (type E plugs) very near German border (type F plugs)
Generally I am appalled by the standards of domestic electrical components and work on both sides of the border: very flexible back boxes, flimsy sockets without switches, most plugs difficult to wire safely, L v N swapped over, 2 pin plugs for lamps (even with metal stands), earthing in general etc.

The one component which I think might be better (safer and easier to use) are the light switches.
The whole (or two halves) of the total area give a large area to press so less pressure is required.
When UK ones are badly wired one sometimes sees a spark near the actual switch, but this is well hidden by the larger plate.
The plastic used in most of the ones on sale may be more flimsy than the UK ones, but the design does seem better.

Does anyone have any reasons why the UK design is better?

Zsalya, It would be good if you could give more information about yourself, in the profile area. Qualifications, and course. This will help others to help you.

The visible spark in the switch is perfectly normal for any type of switch as it breaks the flow of current. It has nothing to do with the switch being installed badly.

Plus switches with large rocker are available in this country,

I have moved from Britain to Poland (type E plugs) very near German border (type F plugs)
Generally I am appalled by the standards of domestic electrical components and work on both sides of the border: very flexible back boxes, flimsy sockets without switches, most plugs difficult to wire safely, L v N swapped over, 2 pin plugs for lamps (even with metal stands), earthing in general etc.

The one component which I think might be better (safer and easier to use) are the light switches.
The whole (or two halves) of the total area give a large area to press so less pressure is required.
When UK ones are badly wired one sometimes sees a spark near the actual switch, but this is well hidden by the larger plate.
The plastic used in most of the ones on sale may be more flimsy than the UK ones, but the design does seem better.

Does anyone have any reasons why the UK design is better?

Because we are BRITISH ...... we ARE the BEST!!

Next question please ....

watch out for them german sockets in poland. today sockets, tomorrow invasion.

When living and working in France I liked the fact that the light switches had dim lights in them to enable you to find them in the dark. It came in handy when drunkenly stumbling back to the digs.

Having lived and worked in France for 12 years before moving back last year I have to say that I actually prefer the Legrand switches and sockets to those of the UK. This is due mainly to the fact that they a push fit cable connectors and are much quicker and safer to wire. When will a UK supplier switch over to this method and do away with bloody screw terminals?

Having lived and worked in France for 12 years before moving back last year I have to say that I actually prefer the Legrand switches and sockets to those of the UK. This is due mainly to the fact that they a push fit cable connectors and are much quicker and safer to wire. When will a UK supplier switch over to this method and do away with bloody screw terminals?

Could you push two legs of a ring and a spur into a legrand socket?

Depends how good those push fit connections are. I've seen plenty of American switches/receptacles with push fit connections and plenty of instances where the push fit copper retaining arm has completely burnt away. But then the American screw type switches/receptacles are not much better as the conductors are secured under the screw head (can't think of the correct term for this type of connection..lol!!) and bloody dangerous to remove these wall accessories from the wall live.

I have worked in many places world wide and have always found that its not the type of the switch or socket connection that matters but the quality of the build, you pay for what you get.

Australian Saturn series light switches are awsome! The blue neon light around the switch makes it look ****in epic!

Reply to Continental Light Switches: Are they a better design than UK ones? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock