Discuss Controlling light switches in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

coachincolin

Hi,
Looking for info on how to control access to a light switch in a communal hall. It is 2 way and fed from one flat only. The flat owner wants to control use of the light. I have seen a keypad used but no idea who made it.
Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks

I would have thought the better option would be to replace the existing switches with time-lag switches so that light only stays on for pre-set time.

By creating such an override switch as you are suggesting there is the potential for accidents to happen as a result of the light having been switched off, which then leads to questions of liability and all that stuff.

Time-lag switches for use if needed during daytime.
Photocell over-ride so lights are on at night. That's the normal way I have done it for several apartment developments/.

Thanks everyone for the replies. The house has been converted into two flats hence the reason why lights are fed from one. I think at some point each flat had a light that they could switch on in the hall but looks like someone has been altering things.
I will look at the time lag switch option and see what I can find.
Can anyone recommend a manufacturer?

Thanks everyone for the replies. The house has been converted into two flats hence the reason why lights are fed from one. I think at some point each flat had a light that they could switch on in the hall but looks like someone has been altering things.
I will look at the time lag switch option and see what I can find.
Can anyone recommend a manufacturer?

Just stay away from the vacuum type as people tend to smack them in or wedge something down the side. I personally think time lag switches are a little old hat and would probably just change the fittings to something with an integrated PIR and isolate the switch drops.

You can get a switch PIR for your situation it does not require a neutral so easy to replace ordinary switch. The problem with them on a two way circuit is that they want to be wired a different way to two way switching.They have to be daisy chained type of wiring.

You can get a switch PIR for your situation it does not require a neutral so easy to replace ordinary switch. The problem with them on a two way circuit is that they want to be wired a different way to two way switching.They have to be daisy chained type of wiring.
I didn't know about no-neutral pir, so I had a look in TLC and link is below. The unit draws power by passing a small current through the load when in the off state. When it turns the load on, there is a little rechargeable battery that takes over. Interesting ...
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/BEG/BE180R2W_User Instructions.pdf

I didn't know about no-neutral pir, so I had a look in TLC and link is below. The unit draws power by passing a small current through the load when in the off state. When it turns the load on, there is a little rechargeable battery that takes over. Interesting ...
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/BEG/BE180R2W_User Instructions.pdf

Danlers make them as well.

WAPIR - DANLERS Lighting Controls & HVAC Controls - http://www.danlers.co.uk/pir-occupancy-switches/45-products/pir/pir-occupancy-switches/wall-mounted/36-wapir-wall-mounted-pir-occupancy-switch

Reply to Controlling light switches in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock