Discuss Conversion Method of switching in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

johan

Hi
I was wondering if anyone could help. I have to do a report on how to convert a single way lighting within a bedroom of a normal terrace house to two way lighting using the conversion method of switching, but me and my friend are a bit confused as to what is the difference between conventional and a conversion method.
Any help would be most appreciated :)

Hi
I was wondering if anyone could help. I have to do a report on how to convert a single way lighting within a bedroom of a normal terrace house to two way lighting using the conversion method of switching, but me and my friend are a bit confused as to what is the difference between conventional and a conversion method.
Any help would be most appreciated :)

Conversion method of switching.

From existing 1 way switch with live & switched live run a 3 core and cpc to 2nd switch point.
Connections. Existing switch now has 5 live cables. Connect existing live & switched live into L1 & L2 connections of 2 way switch along with 2 of your 3 cores going to 2nd 2 way switch. Connect 3rd core of 3 core into com connection.
At new switch you have 3 live cores. Connect your 2 cores that were in L1 & L2 in 1st switch into L1 & L2 in 2nd switch. Connect 3rd core into com of 2nd switch.

So L1 goes to L1, L2 goes to L2 & Common to common.

See attached diagram

Attachments

• S25C-210012109300.pdf
    131 KB · Views: 242
Isn't that just turning 1 way into 2 way switching?
Is this the 'conversion' method?

Hi mate,

It's called the conversion method because you're converting a one-way switch into a two way.

The 'conventional' two way wiring has your live coming into the common of switch 1, strappers linked, and then your switch live connected to the common of switch 2.

You couldn't use this method to convert an existing one way switch (not easily, anyway):)

Reply to Conversion Method of switching in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net