Discuss Cooker and hob advice in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Davebullock

Hi bought a new electric cooker and gas hob
Have a 6mm cable with isolator above worktop and a junction box behind cooker
Because the gas hob is only ignition needed for electrics can I just wire it to the 6mm cooker junction box and the isolator will control both
Or do I take it off the ring

you can do either, if you take the ignition socket from the cooker circuit, the 13A ( or smaller) fuse in the FCU/ plug top will protect the smaller cable.

you can do either, if you take the ignition socket from the cooker circuit, the 13A ( or smaller) fuse in the FCU/ plug top will protect the smaller cable.

So put a fuse spur from the isolator or the cooker terminal ? Or a socket and plug the hob in with a fuse in that

If it is protected by a 32a protective device install dual k.o. box 6.0mm from isolator to single socket linked trough to cooker outlet if the oven does not go back as oven too deep change socket to spur.

But by doing it that way you have pictured the cooker outlet becomes the spur? I may be wrong but the socket should become the spur and be at the last point of the Radial and should also be supplied by a 6mm cable.
it is not easy to get 3 6.0mm into a cooker outlet.
If the protective device is 32A as stated if you use a dual box as stated above 4.0mm link rated 36A it is more practical

Correct me if im wrong here please but a dual outlet plate has the feed or supply in and the ability to connect 2 loads out.Your drawing is showing the highest load on the last point of radial which would be fed by 4mm T&E cable from either a socket or FCU. If the dual outlet plate is fitted then there is no issue with the 2x 6mm T&E cable. One 6mm T&E cable will feed the cooker and another 6mm T&E cable will supply the socket or FCU. By using 4mm T&E to supply the cooker outlet you have a chance that in the future the owner or new owner may install an all electric cooker that will be fed by 4mm T&E and could potentially become a weak link when the electric cooker is under full load.

Correct me if im wrong here please but a dual outlet plate has the feed or supply in and the ability to connect 2 loads out.Your drawing is showing the highest load on the last point of radial which would be fed by 4mm T&E cable from either a socket or FCU. If the dual outlet plate is fitted then there is no issue with the 2x 6mm T&E cable. One 6mm T&E cable will feed the cooker and another 6mm T&E cable will supply the socket or FCU. By using 4mm T&E to supply the cooker outlet you have a chance that in the future the owner or new owner may install an all electric cooker that will be fed by 4mm T&E and could potentially become a weak link when the electric cooker is under full load.

Anyone connecting a future appliance should be verifying that the circuit and connection method are suitable for the appliance.

Anyone connecting a future appliance should be verifying that the circuit and connection method are suitable for the appliance.
I totally agree with you but that does not always happen. A new owner who is moving in will most likely disconnect his own electric cooker from his old property see that in his new property there is a cooker isolator in place and rewire his new cooker in to the cooker outlet without giving it another thought.

If you are using the dual cooker outlet then yes you can do it this way as you can get 3 6.0mm cables in.I was referring to a standard cooker outlet plate if used.the reason I said 4.0mm was sockets these days do not have the large bellmouth terminals they used to.The post I thought was stating gas hob electric oven aprox 16A.If this is the case we will have to wire 32A radial socket circuits in 6.0mm then in case of full load.

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally agree with you but that does not always happen. A new owner who is moving in will most likely disconnect his own electric cooker from his old property see that in his new property there is a cooker isolator in place and rewire his new cooker in to the cooker outlet without giving it another thought.

A driver could fail to stop at my nearest zebra crossing tomorrow but I'm not going to the shops in a crash helmet.

Reply to Cooker and hob advice in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net