Discuss Cooker circuit mcb in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi , I am wiring in a 2.4kw oven into a 6 mm cooker circuit (the hob is gas ) . The oven doesn't come with any flex , but does suggest 1.5 3 core 90degree flex (16amps ) ,so no problem fit with 16amp mcb. My question is if at a later date the hob was changed over to electric then the MCB size goes up to say 32amp , then how is the 1.5 flex to the oven protected

Hi , I am wiring in a 2.4kw oven into a 6 mm cooker circuit (the hob is gas ) . The oven doesn't come with any flex , but does suggest 1.5 3 core 90degree flex (16amps ) ,so no problem fit with 16amp mcb. My question is if at a later date the hob was changed over to electric then the MCB size goes up to say 32amp , then how is the 1.5 flex to the oven protected

Because the oven is a fixed load so can be overload the 1.5mm 3core flex.

The mcb must provide fault protection for the whole circuit and this will be confirmed by your loop tests. But overload protection is not required for the flex as it will only be connected to a 10A load and so cannot be loaded in excess of its 16A capacity, as long as some future hob is not connected to it too :rolleyes:

Don't have a byb only a bgb , waiting for the next amendment probably be out next week ,hope it's purple .

Wilko , I know this is off topic but why have plug top fuses on say a toaster as if the socket circuit have a low enough efli for the breaker protecting it .

Wilko , I know this is off topic but why have plug top fuses on say a toaster as if the socket circuit have a low enough efli for the breaker protecting it .

13A plugs and sockets are governed by BS1363. I think it's a great design with heaps of power and yet very safe. For design of the plug and socket it must have a maximum current. This was set at 13A and the fuse protects that. Then we can attach things to them and hopefully not destroy anything. If someone was to connect a 30A load via a 13A plug, the fuse would melt and protect the flex, plug and socket. And the 32A mcb (say) would be blissfully unaware.

For a short circuit in the flex, the 13A fuse should hopefully blow before the 32A mcb trips (to minimise inconvenience).

I thought of the tripping causing inconvenience, but a double socket must be able to take over 13amps and if the toaster can only take its set load(flex protected from overload ) unless there is a short which will trip the MCB , the plug top fuse can't be there just to protect the plug . Again I know this off topic from my first question . I don't work with any other sparks so don't have these convos (extension lead unknown load I get)

Last edited:
To be fair I paid for my reg book on Amazon , but moaned about it being late /lost in post so they sent another one out and two turned up on the same day , so I sold the second one ( on Amazon of course). SO I NEVER NICKED IT , IT WAS A GIFT

I thought of the tripping causing inconvenience, but a double socket must be able to take over 13amps and if the toaster can only take its set load(flex protected from overload ) unless there is a short which will trip the MCB , the plug top fuse can't be there just to protect the plug . Again I know this off topic from my first question . I don't work with any other sparks so don't have these convos (extension lead unknown load I get)
Fuses in plug tops are there primarily to protect against overcurrent of the cord/cable of the appliance. A bit more off topic is that one gang 13A sockets are tested to ensure they are capable of carrying 13A, however two gang 13A sockets are only tested with a 13A load to one outlet and 6A to the other, not 26A.

The plug is under BS1363 which has the fuse requirement. So the plug and flex aren't part of BS7671 and the 433.3.1 reg doesn't apply. If you use the same flex to connect a fixed oven directly (as you are) then it's BS7671 and 433.3.1 - but I could be confused.com o_O

Which goes back to my first question if the flex on the hob is not fused to protect it from over current and the MCB is only there to protect the 6mm cable (take fixed V portable out of it which I accept) how is the flex protected , because we seem to think that a toaster needs to be protected from over current by a plug top fuse even though it's element pulls it rating when it's working and the flex therefore is protected and when fault happens the MCB , rcbo , RCD will trip . But if it's a oven the flex does not need to be protected from over current . If we say it to stop tripping on circuit affecting other item like a a kitchen ring then sound . But to suggest that flex on items get some new propertys just because we put a plug on them seem strange . And I know we can quote regs and bs numbers but logically does not make sense . Just a point of view not trying to be a div

Assuming this is a fan oven I would not consider it a fixed load because it isn't purely resistive.

It is a fan oven and am cool with just wiring in , RCD tested , r1 r2 sound . It just why we do it , and if the regs said we put plugs or fused spares on all other items but we let it slide on oven or hobs because it's a pain to change it and we have not had that many problems doing it this way , then fine .
( Problem solved make bigger sizefuses physical and rating which can go in to the back of the oven , flex is wired into this , fuse overloads flex protected , dragon den for me £2.50 for 80 percent of the business)

Reply to Cooker circuit mcb in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock