Discuss cooker tripping MCB in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all
I installed a new beko electric cooker for a friend and it was fine at first the clocks came on etc, and today was the first time they was going to use it, they switched on the hob and it blew the MCB.

I've checked all cable at each point such as Consumer unit, cooker unit and behind cooker.

I connected the L and N to the cooker without the earth and it doesn't trip, so I no its something to do with the earth.

I've done a continuity test by linking live and neutral at the board and testing between these cable at the other end to see if they are touching as I don't have a insualtion resistance tester, and it all seemed ok.

but when I tested between L and E on the on the cable to the cooker there was continuity so I then removed the cable from the cooker and put the tester on the L and E terminals on the cooker and there was continuity.

Does this sound like the brand new cooker is faulty as there shouldn't be continuity between L and E

[QUOTE="Dan Brown, post: 1234413, member: 78850"

I connected the L and N to the cooker without the earth and it doesn't trip, so I no its something to do with the earth.
[/QUOTE]

May I point out that in view of the likely L-E fault on the cooker your investigation method would have resulted in the entire metal case of the oven being live.

Not entirely 'best practice' in electrical testing.

Yes, it sounds like the cooker is faulty.

As it seems you are an art student (look up 'collage'), best to get in an electrician to check this out. ;)

1. I know this is not the best practice and how would you have confirmed it was the earth wire causing the fault?
all I did was disconnect the earth from the cooker and put the breaker on to see if it tripped which it didn't so I turned the breaker back of straight away. when I put the earth back in and tried the breaker it continued to trip.

2. what makes you think I'm an artist. I hate assumptions.

3. I've done level 2 and 3 2365 city and guilds, which yes it does include inspection, testing and fault finding etc. but it's not like doing it in the real world. I've not really had to do any of this on site. and fault finding is not the best of tasks but it has to be done at some point.

4. so no I won't consult a fully qualfied electrician to install 3 cables into the back of cooker. I don't own a multifunction tester to carry out relevant test to confirm faults. So I did what I did am sure it's not breaking the law lol

Last edited:
1. I know this is not the best practice and how would you have confirmed it was the earth wire causing the fault?
all I did was disconnect the earth from the cooker and put the breaker on to see if it tripped which it didn't so I turned the breaker back of straight away. when I put the earth back in and tried the breaker it continued to trip.

3. I've done level 2 and 3 2365 city and guilds, which yes it does include inspection, testing and fault finding etc. but it's not like doing it in the real world. I've not really had to do any of this on site. and fault finding is not the best of tasks but it has to be done at some point.

4. so no I won't consult a fully qualfied electrician to install 3 cables into the back of cooker. I don't own a multifunction tester to carry out relevant test to confirm faults. So I did what I did am sure it's not breaking the law lol

The thing is it's not the 'earth wire causing the fault'.
Whilst connecting the cooker is not 'breaking the law'....the reason for being able to carry out basic tests is to avoid danger in the event of faults. You should have at least carried out a Zs test at the cooker terminals. Have you considered what would have happened if there was a break in the continuity of the earth due to a bad connection in the isolator or something? As you didn't check this until after the mcb blew the cooker would have worked fine and you could have walked away from a live cooker case and a dead 'friend' soon afterwards.
Worth thinking about mate.

Do you actually know the function of the cpc and it's purpose for circuit protection, clearly not or else you wouldn't have disconnected it and probably left the case of the cooker live. Think you might want to leave the electrics in your friends house to competent people.

Dan with the greatest of respect, please get someone in that owns the relevant test equipment, under no circumstances should you carry out a bang test to prove something works and is safe for use.
The lads aren't joking when they say you could kill someone doing it that way.
You are not going to find any faults without a tester so my advice would be either invest in a tester or beg and borrow one, as someone who is trained to level 3 you must realise your way is not right and must go against everything you were taught during your studies. Be safe and get some help, all the best with it. As a last thought if you put your location up some kind member may just be local to you and be willing to pop round and help you out.

Matey ..... if you want to work as a spark, having a MFT is almost as important as having 2 hands....

Conduct earth continuity and then insulation resistance tests on the cooker. ie PAT test it.

Look up the definition of the word 'collage' (taken from your profile). Check out the smiley in my post.

(I see that you have now changed your profile from 'Collage Student'.)

May not be breaking the law, but obviously not safe. That's why people get an electrician with test equipment, and the knowledge to use it, to connect up a cooker.

The thing is it's not the 'earth wire causing the fault'.
Whilst connecting the cooker is not 'breaking the law'....the reason for being able to carry out basic tests is to avoid danger in the event of faults. You should have at least carried out a Zs test at the cooker terminals. Have you considered what would have happened if there was a break in the continuity of the earth due to a bad connection in the isolator or something? As you didn't check this until after the mcb blew the cooker would have worked fine and you could have walked away from a live cooker case and a dead 'friend' soon afterwards.
Worth thinking about mate.

yes I understand what you are saying wirepuller. So if you was just changing over a cooker, disconnecting the old one and then installing a new one would you actually carry out ins test and continuity etc even though the old cooker was working fine. The new cooker came on fine as in the clocks came on. But it wasn't until they put 1 hob on the cooker circuit tripped and no it wasn't an overloaded circuit was only one hob and it has a 32A breaker. As I said the old cooker was fine on the circuit.

ye
Dan with the greatest of respect, please get someone in that owns the relevant test equipment, under no circumstances should you carry out a bang test to prove something works and is safe for use.
The lads aren't joking when they say you could kill someone doing it that way.
You are not going to find any faults without a tester so my advice would be either invest in a tester or beg and borrow one, as someone who is trained to level 3 you must realise your way is not right and must go against everything you were taught during your studies. Be safe and get some help, all the best with it. As a last thought if you put your location up some kind member may just be local to you and be willing to pop round and help you out.

Matey ..... if you want to work as a spark, having a MFT is almost as important as having 2 hands....

Right so I take it when you all was a trainee which was obviously at some point you could all afford to have a MFT

Do you actually know the function of the cpc and it's purpose for circuit protection, clearly not or else you wouldn't have disconnected it and probably left the case of the cooker live. Think you might want to leave the electrics in your friends house to competent people.

People like you make me laugh. I clearly know the function of the cpc. I switched the breaker on for literally 1 second with no one around only me just to check, so there was no one around to touch the case if it was live.

And yes the cooker was faulty as the spark which told me to do a cont test between earth and line by linking them at the board and testing the other end of the circuit. as I don't own a insulation resistance tester. I even put the continuity tester on the terminals at the back of the cooker with no cables in between line and earth and got continuity which should not happen. The cooker was clearly faulty as the other was working fine. just some of the rings was not working due to them spilling something on it. Plus the was an old cooker they wanted to upgrade

Don't know why I'm explaining why they got a new cooker lol.

But thanks to the people who take the time out to actually criticise in a good way and not be a bell end about it

It s
Hi all
I installed a new beko electric cooker for a friend and it was fine at first the clocks came on etc, and today was the first time they was going to use it, they switched on the hob and it blew the MCB.

I've checked all cable at each point such as Consumer unit, cooker unit and behind cooker.

I've done a continuity test by linking live and neutral at the board and testing between these cable at the other end to see if they are touching as I don't have a insualtion resistance tester, and it all seemed ok.

but when I tested between L and E on the on the cable to the cooker there was continuity so I then removed the cable from the cooker and put the tester on the L and E terminals on the cooker and there was continuity.

Does this sound like the brand new cooker is faulty as there shouldn't be continuity between L and E
ounds to me as if the problem could/might be a fault one one of the elemnts, sounds a daft statement I know, when ever I used to get frantic calls at about 11 oclock on a Sunday "just put the Sunday lunch in the oven and it's tripped something on the fuse box" my answer was to switch everything off on the oven, all the rings etc, reset the tripped whatever on the fuse box, IF the RCD/CB remains on
ye

Right so I take it when you all was a trainee which was obviously at some point you could all afford to have a MFT
Yes most definitely if I was doing work and charging customers.

Dan, I think it's a bit harsh with the name calling. I've read all the replies and can't see anyone being a 'bell' - this is a very serious matter which could have resulted in injury or worse, and people are merely trying to show you the error of your ways.

Perhaps you should heed their advice rather than retaliating.

Reply to cooker tripping MCB in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock