Discuss Core drill purchase in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

rattlehead85

Would appreciate some advice on this please.
Got a contract starting next month rewiring 200 kitchens within a chalet complex. They require 6" extractor fans to be core cut through the concrete structure roughly 350mm in depth. I am looking at buying a dedicated core drill to do this. What recommendations do you have for a decent core drill to do this and what size core bit size will i need to complete the job. I have a 7kg DeWalt sds max drill but not sure this is any use as it doesn't appear to have the clutch device which i think is an important safety issue when coring holes this thick.
Thanks[emoji106][emoji106]

Must have a clutch, when they snatch up especially on the larger cores it whips around with a vengeance. We have a makita one, 3 years old? Still going strong.

Must have a clutch, when they snatch up especially on the larger cores it whips around with a vengeance. We have a makita one, 3 years old? Still going strong.

Agreed!!

Don't even THINK about using the SDS for this!

1. It doesn't run fast enough.

2. It will try it's damnedest to break your wrist if it jams.

I have a Makita and it's fine, but I think if I were to buy again I may like to try Milwaukee.

May i ask what the model of your makita is and also what size core bit do i need for the 6" fan hole. I think its a 150mm bit but im a bit confused as i know to fit a window fan 6" you need to cut a 71/4" hole in the glass.

May i ask what the model of your makita is and also what size core bit do i need for the 6" fan hole. I think its a 150mm bit but im a bit confused as i know to fit a window fan 6" you need to cut a 71/4" hole in the glass.
25.1mm is one inch. so 6" is just over 150mm

Core drill purchase {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Core drill purchase {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I use one of the Milwaukee dedicated core drills and it's a tank. I've probably done 300+ with it. 4,5,6" is what's it's ideal for. It's very power and reliable. Watch your wrists though because when it catches it's like wrestling a stuck pig. I would personally buy an engineering core drill as it's quicker and less prone to jamming. The ones with the dust extraction vent on the side bite constantly. Wear ear defs and gloves because you need them

I use one of the Milwaukee dedicated core drills and it's a tank. I've probably done 300+ with it. 4,5,6" is what's it's ideal for. It's very power and reliable. Watch your wrists though because when it catches it's like wrestling a stuck pig. I would personally buy an engineering core drill as it's quicker and less prone to jamming. The ones with the dust extraction vent on the side bite constantly. Wear ear defs and gloves because you need them

I agree - and if the OP is drilling a lot of 6" holes then the Makita could be struggling a bit.

6" is 150mm, but you will want a bigger size core hole to fit your ducting through.

for eg, to fit a 100mm/4" fan duct I have to use a 107mm core for poly and steel flexi duct, and a 112mm at least for solid pipe ducting.

6" is 150mm, but you will want a bigger size core hole to fit your ducting through.

for eg, to fit a 100mm/4" fan duct I have to use a 107mm core for poly and steel flexi duct, and a 112mm at least for solid pipe ducting.
6" is 152 though (ive got a set of digital calipers to hand)

2" holesaw is 51mm so 6" is 153ish as a rough measure

Milwaukee model you use?

I've used the makita one also and it just hasn't got the guts for it. It's too weak and spins at too low an rpm. The design is also weak

6" is 152 though (ive got a set of digital calipers to hand)

2" holesaw is 51mm so 6" is 153ish as a rough measure

What I'm saying is that the stated fan diameter does not necessarily correspond with the outside diameter of the ducting used therefore a larger core drill diameter is usually required.

What I'm saying is that the stated fan diameter does not necessarily correspond with the outside diameter of the ducting used therefore a larger core drill diameter is usually required.

If you rotate the core drill Inside the empty hole it will gently increase the size to allow for sold ducting. Drill on a bit of an angle an chamfer it around so too speak.

Do you use a hex adaptor for that or an sds one?

If you rotate the core drill Inside the empty hole it will gently increase the size to allow for sold ducting. Drill on a bit of an angle an chamfer it around so too speak.

All along the length of a 12" long hole ? I'd rather use the correct size core and spare my clutch the torment.

Reply to Core drill purchase in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock