Discuss Core Drill in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electric Magic

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I need to get a core drill. I was looking at the Dewalt 21570K - has anyone got one? Are they any good? Or should I spend a bit more and get a Marcrist DDM1? I'll mainly be using it to cut holes for 100mm ducting. I've seen a post on here extolling the virtues of the Marcrist DDM2 but they don't seem to be available anymore and are a bit out of my price range (I don't want to spend more than £250 and ideally a bit less than that).

I've had the Makita for a couple of years and it is a good bit of kit. Bought a Marcrist DDM1 last week and the extra grunt puts it above the Makita in my opinion - clutch cuts out less. More importantly, use decent core bits. The Marcrist PC850 range are great - can use them on hammer action, which really speads things up.

I've had a Makita 8406 for about 16 years and it's still going well. Had the clutch tweaked a couple of weeks ago by a mate who repairs power tools as it was getting a bit weak and he reckons it's good to go for many more years now

I run a Makita 8406C/2 which seems to handle everything I throw at it including 152mm cores. The only snags are that the variable speed is on a dial, not the trigger so it is either on or off at that speed and it does not have reverse which would be useful on times.

So it looks like, in terms of reliability, the Makita is a pretty safe bet. JulianC your comparison is interesting but it would be good to hear from anyone who has had a DDM1 for a while to know if they are as reliable as the Makita.

My makita core drill was bought in 2004 and still works great.
i find it the most uncomfortable drill I have in the fleet to hold though in these days of soft handles and ergonomics so be warned.
as above posts use decent core bits and you won't go wrong.
i also have the marcrist dust extraction adapter for connecting to a Hoover which works a treat and improves the cutting action as it extracts all the dust which I find to be a cause of core drills jamming up.

Bought the Marcrist a few months ago and did around 4 117mm holes with it - the lad using it said he thought the clutch had a problem and I said that they don't bite as easily but on the fifth hole it bit and spun him off the steps and did all the ligaments in two of his fingers.

Returned it to Screwfix and they couldn't replace like for like so I got the Dewalt which was about £50 less, but in my opinion is actually a better drill than the Marcrist - lighter to handle and use and easily as much grunt so I am a fan of the Dewalt!

I was in the same boat, borrowed a mates marcrist core set and his dewalt core drill last week, drill was brilliant, doesnt take away the fact its a s#%te job but the marcrist core set allows you to use hammer function, sped things up abit.

Reply to Core Drill in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net