Discuss Core drilling in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sjhall

-
Reaction score
Question for any of you guys that do a fair bit of core drilling-
Do you drill with hammer action on or off ? I've got a decent enough drill ( makita 8406c 1400w)
Ive found I get better results on hammer but dont want to damage the drill ... Thoughts?

Cheers

You'll knack the core drill with the hammer on mate. At least that's what I'm told, I don't do it myself as I know a guy with a drill more powerful than a tractor so I get him to come and drill me cores out.

If it's a Tungsten Carbide core drill, then you use hammer.

If it's a Dry Diamond core drill you don't - and you use a higher speed (more RPMs) use the hammer facility & you'll knacker the bit !!

In the "old days" you had to use water too, but nowadays you don't.

Water, eh? That must have been fun up a ladder core drilling from outside in and applying water at the same time :D

Aye ... without the water the heat generated melted the weld used to fix the tips to the drill but nowadays the tips are welded on using a laser process so the water isn't needed.

After the Ronan Point disaster which was caused by a gas explosion, it was found that even if there hadn't been an explosion, those flats could have collapsed if a strong wing blew - and there were several other tower blocks built the same way.

It was decided to reinforce them with stainless steel tie bars which were anchored into the walls using resin (like Araldite) This is quite a common process now, but back then it was all ground breaking stuff & the company I worked for won the contract for the job. It involved core drilling holes in the walls of the flats, stuffing the holes full of resin then spinning the tie bars into the resin filled holes - all done while folk were still living there !!

My job was to develop a means of recovering the water used by the drill & clean & recycle it before it made a mess of the premises. This was achieved by a vacuum system & a filtration tank that was normally used in industrial grinding machines.

I also developed a core drill for geologists to use while swinging about on a rope on a rock face. The drill was a one inch core drill powered by a Sthil saw motor. It was cooled by water carried in two large plastic containers on a modified rucksack frame strapped to the poor bloke's back - along with a 5 litre can of petrol & a tool kit !!

Last edited by a moderator:
I get the impression that the OP is looking for some coring 'short cuts'.........there aren't any! It takes lots of time and patience (and practice), don't force the process or you end up with a knackered everything. If it takes an hour, it takes an hour. If you think you'll be doing a lot then invest in a dedicated core drill, else just make sure that your normal drill has got a really good clutch otherwise you'll end up with a knackered wrist as well.

Reply to Core drilling in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net