Discuss Correct Electrical Installation Instructions and Regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Lee Gilchrist

Hi All,

I am in a dispute with David Wilson Homes (aka Barratt's) and David Wilson Homes who have built my house to a incredibly low standard.

We are in dispute over the electrical cabling as none of the cabling is clipped on vertical runs, cable is penetrating the roof insulation and cutting into roof insulation.

The NHBC are saying the clipping of cabling is a suggestion in some cases which sounds like they don't want to help so I am trying to get some proof from skilled electricians backup up by the manufacture installation instructions.

When NHBC was instructing DWH it was in our favour and DWH had to fix it, now it seems there attitude has changed since they now have to own the project as DWH has abandoned us after 18 months.

Our Cabling in teh pictures is:-
Prysmian (A) BASEC Electric Cable 300/500v BS60046242Y 2x2.5+1.5H

I have also attached the NHBC Resolution report showing photo's of the issues and the NHBC original findings,

I hope you guys can help.

Edit: report is now in following post with personal details removed
Correct Electrical Installation Instructions and Regulations - http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/threads/correct-electrical-installation-instructions-and-regulations.113683/#post-1212288

Last edited by a moderator:
Wiring Regulations... BS7671, 2008 (amended 2011). reg 522.8. supporting of cables. (the 2015 amendment is current and may have a different reg. no. but will be close) .

You may with to remove all personal data from the PDF. Attached is a copy of your PDF with sheets 1 to 3 deleted.

Attachments

• nhbc_resolution_report copy.pdf
    1,023.2 KB · Views: 84
So from my report and the dangling cables in both SVP based on Prysmian (A) BASEC Electric Cable 300/500v BS60046242Y 2x2.5+1.5H cables. What interval\approach would a good electrician use to secure these cables.

I also suspect all cables to all sockets are also installed in the same way.

it does look pretty poor standards, not just electrical.

The cables should be clipped and secured

Regulation 522.8.4
Where the conductors or cables are not supported continuously due to the method of installation, they shall be supported by suitable means at appropriate intervals in such a manner that the conductors or cables do not suffer damage by their own weight.

It isn't always easy to fix existing cables, firstly you need a surface to fix them to and hope there is enough slack on them to allow fixing. This type of cable is normally fixed with nail in clips.

It isn't always easy to fix existing cables, firstly you need a surface to fix them to and hope there is enough slack on them to allow fixing. This type of cable is normally fixed with nail in clips.

Probably why the NHBC don't want to do it as it may escalate further and require additional re-wiring thus costing them more money. They said as long as there is not a performance issue then this was fine despite being in breach of the regulations which now I have proof of the exact regulation.

They may well use the theory the cables are not readily accessible to pose a problem. Wiring in new builds is just thrown in with little regard.

it does look pretty poor standards, not just electrical.

The cables should be clipped and secured

Regulation 522.8.4
Where the conductors or cables are not supported continuously due to the method of installation, they shall be supported by suitable means at appropriate intervals in such a manner that the conductors or cables do not suffer damage by their own weight.

Hi, The house is a disaster, don't buy David Wilson Homes or Barratt's (same company) terrible standards, workmanship, cheapest contractors doing sub standard work, terrible customer services. After 18 month DWH has abandoned us for demanding our house it built correctly.

I have men friebds who have David Wilson homes and they were not happy either. I must admit when I was in the living room with them and it started raining the rain noise on the roof was that loud I struggled to hear what they were saying!

I have men friebds who have David Wilson homes and they were not happy either. I must admit when I was in the living room with them and it started raining the rain noise on the roof was that loud I struggled to hear what they were saying!

I have sent some building experts who are working with me the link to this thread so they may comment. We are building a case of homes not built to standard as well as fighting the likes to NHBC and DWH. If they want to join the fight please get them to email me and I can pass there details on. There have been a few articles on BBC and this issue is getting more exposure daily.

Hi All,

I am in a dispute with David Wilson Homes (aka Barratt's) and David Wilson Homes who have built my house to a incredibly low standard.

We are in dispute over the electrical cabling as none of the cabling is clipped on vertical runs, cable is penetrating the roof insulation and cutting into roof insulation.

The NHBC are saying the clipping of cabling is a suggestion in some cases which sounds like they don't want to help so I am trying to get some proof from skilled electricians backup up by the manufacture installation instructions.

When NHBC was instructing DWH it was in our favour and DWH had to fix it, now it seems there attitude has changed since they now have to own the project as DWH has abandoned us after 18 months.

Our Cabling in teh pictures is:-
Prysmian (A) BASEC Electric Cable 300/500v BS60046242Y 2x2.5+1.5H

I have also attached the NHBC Resolution report showing photo's of the issues and the NHBC original findings,

I hope you guys can help.

Edit: report is now in following post with personal details removed
Correct Electrical Installation Instructions and Regulations - http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/threads/correct-electrical-installation-instructions-and-regulations.113683/#post-1212288
Do you have any idea which of the scams, sorry schemes the electrician was with, NICEIC, STROMA, ELECSA to name a few, there are plenty more to choose from, find out which ones did your wiring and ask for a report, do you have any installation certificates?

Do you have any idea which of the scams, sorry schemes the electrician was with, NICEIC, STROMA, ELECSA to name a few, there are plenty more to choose from, find out which ones did your wiring and ask for a report, do you have any installation certificates?

The company was P&J Massingham and no we got no electrical certificates and David Wilson Homes cannot provide one nor any installation reports. A little googling and ironically I find they were electrical contractor of the year for DWH in 2014. Speaks volumes.

P&J Massingham electrical | Facebook - https://www.------------/PJ-Massingham-electrical-293417904090726/

Good luck, as a matter of interest are your fellow neighbours on board with you.

I know many neighbours have issues maybe not as many us but lots of issues however teh resident committee does not want to admit there are "issues" or "defects" as they think this will affect peoples house prices. Surly a house that meets standards should be the home owners ultimate aim, not to suffer alone or put there head in the sand and hope the issues go away. :-(

Good luck, as a matter of interest are your fellow neighbours on board with you.

I know many neighbours have issues maybe not as many us but lots of issues however the residents committee does not want to admit there are "issues" or "defects" as they think this will affect peoples house prices. Surly a house that meets standards should be the home owners ultimate aim, not to suffer alone or put there head in the sand and hope the issues go away. :-(

BS7671 requires a new installation to be have an Installation Certificate.

Regulation 632.3 (in the green book, anyways)
Following completion of inspection and testing, an electrical installation certificate, together with particulars of the electrical installation and a schedule of test results, must be provided to the person who ordered the work. It must be signed three times (by the designer, the installer and the inspector/tester) to certify that the installation has been designed, constructed, inspected and tested in accordance with BS 7671.

Reply to Correct Electrical Installation Instructions and Regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net