Discuss Cost of digging a trench for cable in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Wasn't really sure where to put this! I need to get a trench in for a cable, 13 metres will be cutting through tarmac and approx 30m just soil. I'm weighing up whether to hire some kit from TP and do it all oursleves (2 of us) or get a company in. Problem is most of the companies I've seen advertising also lay cabling so I don't want them trying to steal the job!

I looked at the mole thingy as an option but same problem, most of the companies will want to do the whole job and it's not a fancy driveway or anything so thinking easier just to cut the tarmac out? Not that I've cut through tarmac before.

Anyone done anything similar themselves or paying someone else?

I can see your problem cornburn trying to keep the job if you get someone else in to do it. Maybe an option to approach highways agency lads on the road and ask if they want to do it on the weekend. Tell them the info as above without them viewing the job so they don't know the address and try to steel it from you and get a day rate off them. Other than that its an expensive trip to the hire shop and order some tarmac to be delivered. Good luck.

Wasn't really sure where to put this! I need to get a trench in for a cable, 13 metres will be cutting through tarmac and approx 30m just soil. I'm weighing up whether to hire some kit from TP and do it all oursleves (2 of us) or get a company in. Problem is most of the companies I've seen advertising also lay cabling so I don't want them trying to steal the job!

I looked at the mole thingy as an option but same problem, most of the companies will want to do the whole job and it's not a fancy driveway or anything so thinking easier just to cut the tarmac out? Not that I've cut through tarmac before.

Anyone done anything similar themselves or paying someone else?

We use a local landscape gardener for any trenching and lifting/relaying of paving slabs etc. Might be worth trying a couple, it's a bad time of year for them!

Good point IQ. Just had another thought, what if you get a none refundable deposit from the customer and put it down to the laying out for goods and ground force you have to pay for? Each way you win and I don't think the customer will go with someone else if already paid a couple hundred quid.

Thanks everyone. I'm looking at hiring something from TP and will get a price over the phone for someone else to do it. Can't get a penny up front unfortunately as is an LA job. I could have them dig the trench but they'd sub it out to someone else for £2k no doubt and want to take it out of our bill

Thanks everyone. I'm looking at hiring something from TP and will get a price over the phone for someone else to do it. Can't get a penny up front unfortunately as is an LA job. I could have them dig the trench but they'd sub it out to someone else for £2k no doubt and want to take it out of our bill

Typical. Try getting the council to do anything without having to pay IN FULL up front first. Yet when you work for them they want it all done first before paying you 6 months later. Glad I don't have to work for the ----ers.

Had thought about that, wouldn't a mini digger make a bit of a mess of the tarmac though? I guess you'd run a big push along cutter along first then pull the muck out afterwards with the digger

Had thought about that, wouldn't a mini digger make a bit of a mess of the tarmac though? I guess you'd run a big push along cutter along first then pull the muck out afterwards with the digger

You should be able to cut it then you may have to break it up with a hydraulic breaker, and dig out with mini digger. But again could get quite costly to hire. Your best bet is if you know anyone who works for a company that may have the kit required to help you out, such as landscaper or worker for highways as mentioned before. The chances of hitting services underneath could be minimised by using a CAT device, but again these sometimes won't pick up water pipes / gas pipes.....common sense and always scrape with the digger bucket and don't go smashing into the subsoil with the bucket!! Where abouts in the country is it? (I'm not looking for the address but just for an idea of people in that area with the kit!!!)

I've read 400mm somewhere, can't remember where I'd read that.

There isn't a set depth is there? Isn't 600mm the norm?
I think sometimes this can be way over the top depending on the ground surface and it's use, down to common sense I suppose

If you do do it yourself get service plans from gas, electric, BT etc they are free. use a c.a.t and hand dig to prove location. If it is on private land I think it is up to the person ordering the work to supply them? A bit like it is the property owners responsibility to warn of asbestos in a building.

Last edited:
Sorry guys have been a bit slow on this thread! Trying to get plans off the County and hopefully have found someone trustworthy with a mole to sort the Tarmac bit, we just need a minidigger for the grass then. Was thinking burying at about a foot under the Tarmac to avoid anything else down there, can't see a problem with this as it's data but will see what he mole guy says. Can go deeper in the soil if we have to. At least jobs not on til the summer so should be nice out :)

If going shallower make sure you use the safety tape telling people there is cable below as lots of people expect cables to be buried about 600mm!

Reply to Cost of digging a trench for cable in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net