Discuss Cost of moving supply intake position in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening all,

Unfortunately no picture on this scenario until I move into my new house on the 25th, so hopefully my words do it justice.

The house that I am moving into has a small area underneath the stairs that we would ideally (eventually) like to make into a toilet as the house is single bathroom. The problem is that both the supply intake and CU are located towards the floor level in this area.

So obviously there's a few problems here, the main one in my mind being that I doubt that the supply intake & CU could stay that close to a small room with a toilet & sink in, and certainly not at floor level. Obviously the meter tails could be extended to put the CU in a better position, but the intake would remain in that awkward place.

I dread to think how much it would cost for the supplier to come and alter the positioning of this but has anyone had any experience of this and any idea of the sort of figure to be expected?

Many thanks!

Superb, thanks for the help. It's a while away from being affordable as expected but at least there is a fairly simple way of getting the information to them and getting a quote!

Going back 10+ years i had my service head moved so i could change the location of the door under my stairs. It only had to move 3 feet just to make room for the door. If i remember correctly it was around £350 because it was towards the front of my house (the direction which the cable entered). If the service cable needs extending then expect it to be considerably more.

Hehe he. I love this one! I had exactly this situation just a while ago, WPD. New garage on the side of a house, so the service head needed to be moved onto the new outside wall. Not even U/G works, the incomer was run round the eaves of the house.
So, the bill to the customer was £900. For this they got 3 guys who pitched up in 3 vans, plus a cherry picker, just in case, which wasn't used. I actually got almost dragged into the van, complete with cooking range, for a mandatory bacon butty and brew, before work started. "Alright mate, get yourself in here for a bit" sort of thing. So, on completion of butty eating and tea supping, we go into battle. Lads look at meter box, still sitting on the garage floor. Ohhhhh, (sharp intake of breath) we can't do anything with that, you will have to get "the builder" to fix that onto the wall. So, after deciding the builder was not going to play ball, muggins here volunteers to fix said box onto outside wall of new garage. Looked ----, should have been a built in one, but never mind. Lads watch from van with another Tea. "OK boys, there you go" says I. Fella then comes out and says, how are you going to feed the CU from here, so I tell him I am going to use a switch fuse and SWA to the CU, to which he replies "nice one, you can stick it in the meter box mate no problem" I told him I thought that was a bit of a no-no and he says "coudn't give a **** mate myself. So, they proceed to re-route the incomer round the outside of the house, complete with a whacking great joint that looked awful half way round the nice new extension, while discussing the latest footie results and so on. Now, don't get me wrong, I quite enjoyed the butty and several teas and a bit of banter, but 3 blokes for 5 hours with 4 vehicles, and £900?? Mind you they did chuck an ISO in for free........

Evening all,

Unfortunately no picture on this scenario until I move into my new house on the 25th, so hopefully my words do it justice.

The house that I am moving into has a small area underneath the stairs that we would ideally (eventually) like to make into a toilet as the house is single bathroom. The problem is that both the supply intake and CU are located towards the floor level in this area.

So obviously there's a few problems here, the main one in my mind being that I doubt that the supply intake & CU could stay that close to a small room with a toilet & sink in, and certainly not at floor level. Obviously the meter tails could be extended to put the CU in a better position, but the intake would remain in that awkward place.

I dread to think how much it would cost for the supplier to come and alter the positioning of this but has anyone had any experience of this and any idea of the sort of figure to be expected?

Many thanks!
Have you got concrete floors? This is classed as a service alteration and can be expensive, depending on where it's to be moved. What is the supply cable? Proberly a pilc( paper insulated lead sheared cable, TN-S.) The earth is usually clamped onto the lead cable. If it's a vir, Vulcanized insulated rubber cable, Indian woven, usually red colour. If vir go onto the Boards website and state that your electrician has pointed out it needs replaced. The board are trying to get these replaced ASAP.

Last edited:

Reply to Cost of moving supply intake position in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net