Discuss Cost of rewiring in new circuit in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I

Ian Batten

Hello,

I've recently been looking for a quote on some work, and have had very conflicting quotes and advice.

Upstairs I have 2 rooms, of which each has 1 single socket in. I'd like 4 double sockets in the main room, and 4 in the second.

I've been recommended to get a new circuit wired in for these - and been quoted £620 for the job.

Does this sound about right - or am I being charged over the odds?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without any info to guide us we cannot possibly agree or disagree as too many factors are involved, its akin to me posting 'I have been offered £1000 for my van, is that a good deal'?

If you can give details on cable runs, existing fuseboard, whether the sockets are flush or surface, are they in a dado trunking for say a little office you may have converted froma bedroom..etc etc all will reflect on the final cost.

Also the existing layout will have some bearing on the decision to run new circuit, 8 sockets for £620 could be reasonable quote but again we have little to go on.

Impossible to say.... I would recommend you get another quote or two!

Where are you based? There may me a member on here close to you.

Hi guys, thanks for your replies. And totally see what you're saying - pretty generic scenario that I posted!

The consumer unit has an RCD and is relatively new, so that all looks up to shape. The existing wiring is also all fairly new, so not to sure why the sockets can't be wired into the existing ring, although I suppose 8 sockets would be better on a new ring anyway?

Sockets will be flush, and happy for wiring to run under the floorboards. Bedrooms are just standard bedrooms, I've also lifted all floorboards to give easy access to wiring underneath.

Also im based in Bristol, going to get some more quotes in this week.

Do you have a upstairs socket circuit already as having one point in each bedroom is old hat and sounds like your fuse board has been upgraded on an existing system, if your have an upstairs circuit already I'll be surprised if it need a full rewire of the circuit rather than an expansion of the existing.. I would confirm with the company what exactly they mean.

Reply to Cost of rewiring in new circuit in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock