Discuss Could use some help with wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sean9461

hi,

I'm looking for some help in regards to working out the load calculation of a wire.

I'm pretty sure it should be ok but I just want to double check.

I have an outhouse workshop and have a mcb in my main house.

I had an electrician in to install a sub panel in the outhouse.

He installed a 10mm2 cable which only extends 3m max to the sub panel.

He installed a 50a breaker in my mcb leading to the sub panel.

The mcb has a rcd in it.

Now I'm aware about having to get an electrician in however my question is very simple.

The 50a breaker I would like to upgrade to 80a.

To run more load as I run a business from home several servers etc.

From all calculations I have done the 10mm2 cable over 3m should be able to handle 80a.

So I should be able to simply switch out the breaker for a 80a.

I would just like to confirm this with you guys. Can anyone confirm that this should be ok?

I really don't plan on paying or even getting someone to drive here to simply install a new breaker for me when it's literally as simple as switching a 3 pin plug.

Cheers

you can't fit a 80A breaker to a 10mm cable. 50A is the correct size. last time i saw a 80A on a 10mm was the morning after the Fire Brigade had attended. and it was bloody boxing day at a local cattery. poor buggers had no heating in the cages till after i'd been and sorted it asll out.

What is the calculation you use to work out the breaker size then?

As I used a website that works out the calculation for you and it came back saying over 3m at 10mm2 can carry 80a

I don't really know where to start, apart from, no you can't do what you are planning without it being dangerous.
Get an electrician in to do a load assessment for you and see what you actually require. If you really do need more than a 50A supply I'll be gobsmacked. If you do actually require a 80A supply out to your outhouse then it's probably time to contact the DNO to uprate your service cable.

You would be putting the property and its occupiers at risk if you do this!!! Why not get a local electrician in to upgrade the submain cable and breaker and give you the proper documentation for it?

As above, you need to get the job re-assessed, also another point is your incoming supply, have you contacted your supplier to enquire what allowance and DNO fuse rating you have, it may be that you have a 60, 80 or 100amp service fuse which may limit you.

I also ask you why you want to upgrade to an 80 amp, I suspect the rcd is tripping with all the servers designed earth leakage, was the Electrician made aware what type of loading was going on this circuit as I suspect this is designed wrong if that is the case, so can you confirm why you want to increase to a 80amp when from what you say, I find it hard to justify an 80amp supply for a few servers unless your running a big office block.

I may have worked out total load wrong.

I have a farm house and have a new extension on the outhouse which i plan on adding extra rings eventually as well to have a seperate flat for mother in law.

I'll get an electrician out then

Cheers

So you have a house, with an office and you are planning to add an annex..... Best you get this all laid down as you may need a supply upgrade....

Yeah it's more complicated than I thought then. I'll get an electrician in with the builders at the same time.

Thanks for help

Appreciate it

Seen 80A mccb but not mcb?

MCBs are available up to 125A, above 63A they are normally three units wide (27mm) instead of the standard 2 units (18mm)
The only standard DB I know of which can take them is the 200A (might be 250A) memshield 3 boards which can have a number of 27mm ways as required.

Also see the Schneider (Merlin Gerin) C120H range of mcbs.

Ive got a 125A C type Terasaki sitting on the bench in the workshop at the moment,

I'm getting someone out for a quote tomorrow and builders coming out today.

I have what may be a stupid question though guys,

If a breaker is rated for 50a and it's a type b. I've read type bs overload at 2-3x its rated value?

So can you run more than 50a through a breaker?

As off my 50a breaker I have a 16a breaker on my sub panel. Which if I worked it out properly would be max 3680w. Now I have several servers on this circuit well, 8 servers each with a 600w psu.

Now psus hardly ever draw their full rated power but my question is,

If they draw 4000w in total for a couple of hours will the breaker be ok or will it instantly trip as soon as I go 1 watt over 3680w?

Cheers

Reply to Could use some help with wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net