Discuss Could use some help with wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Mcbs and all fuses follow a time/current curve chart when they are over there rated value, a very small overload may be present without the overload device ever operating but through regulation and design, this should not happen, you are also mixing up what the b,c,d ratings mean they allow for an initial inrush which is associated with inductive loads and choosing the correct type will limit nuisance tripping.
It may be quite difficult explaining in depth what is what and why due to your limited knowledge hence it is always best to get a competent person in even if you perceive it may be a simple mcb change, a simple mistake can put property and lives at risk.

I'm getting someone out for a quote tomorrow and builders coming out today.

I have what may be a stupid question though guys,

If a breaker is rated for 50a and it's a type b. I've read type bs overload at 2-3x its rated value?

So can you run more than 50a through a breaker?

As off my 50a breaker I have a 16a breaker on my sub panel. Which if I worked it out properly would be max 3680w. Now I have several servers on this circuit well, 8 servers each with a 600w psu.

Now psus hardly ever draw their full rated power but my question is,

If they draw 4000w in total for a couple of hours will the breaker be ok or will it instantly trip as soon as I go 1 watt over 3680w?

Cheers
50A equates to 12kWatts ( single phase) so i doubt you'll be able to overload a 50A MCB unless you're adding a 9kWatt boiler.

12kwatts? Do our houses in U.K. Still run at 240v I thought it was 230 now?

When I was working out my 16a circuits I was working it as 230 x a

12kwatts? Do our houses in U.K. Still run at 240v I thought it was 230 now?

When I was working out my 16a circuits I was working it as 230 x a

No in the UK substation output is still 250V, this has not changed since the whole country was standardised and the national grid was established.

the power rating of an appliance will be at a stated voltage, this is the voltage you need to use in calculations for that appliance as it will only be applicable at that voltage.

Also you cannot establish the actual load by adding up the ratings of the mcb's, if you want it accurate then a load study carried out over a few weeks is the best way.

Reply to Could use some help with wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock