Discuss CPC/Earth feed to Light Switch Back Box in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Thanks for that , looks like I am going to have to change the 2.5mm2 to 4.0mm2 to the lights mam a mia , that was a job and a half putting in the 2.5mm2 from what I can remember , but you can't have enough supplimentry bonding in the house and I have a lot , water n gas pipes were I have been able to get to them , I hink there is more copper in the cpc's around the house than in Zambia ! .

cheers guys and thank you all for your comments and help .

BB

Was all that bonding actually necessary? Bonding things which don't need it can potentially increase danger rather than reduce it.
It would be far better to rewire the circuit than run an additional cpc, the old cables are likely to be getting towards the end of their expected lifespan of they aren't past it already.

What Zs readings did you get when you tested the 2.5mm cpc?

Hi
Thanks for your reply, yes you are right am going to rewire all the lower floor lights and switches , to be honest I was thinking of doing just that , just needed someone to push me to do it .
Best regards
BB

Thanks for all your feedback again have decided to rewire the lower lights n switches , my next question is what is the recomended csa of the cable to use ! .
ie 1.omm2/1.5mm2 / 1.5mm2 for radial n 1.00mm2 to switches ! .
cheers

BB

Thanks for all your feedback again have decided to rewire the lower lights n switches , my next question is what is the recomended csa of the cable to use ! .
ie 1.omm2/1.5mm2 / 1.5mm2 for radial n 1.00mm2 to switches ! .
cheers

BB

The recommended size is the size which you have calculated using the information in your regulations book.
Mixing cable sizes in a simple installation is unnecessary, calculate thencable size required for the circuit and stick to that size throughout the circuit.

Was all that bonding actually necessary? Bonding things which don't need it can potentially increase danger rather than reduce it.
It would be far better to rewire the circuit than run an additional cpc, the old cables are likely to be getting towards the end of their expected lifespan of they aren't past it already.

What Zs readings did you get when you tested the 2.5mm cpc?

Hi
Thanks for your reply , is there a need to check the Zs when there is a RCD in the circuit ! .
BB

Hi
Thanks for your reply , is there a need to check the Zs when there is a RCD in the circuit ! .
BB

Yes, you need to meet the Zs requirements of the over current protective device protecting the circuit. Using the RCD for fault protection is a last resort if you can't meet the Zs requirements of said device, but in my opinion this should only be considered if you have a TT supply.

Hi
BB

Yes there is, otherwise how do you know that ADS has been complied with. Even if you are thinking of relying on an RCD then you still need to confirm the continuity and resistance of the cpc.

To be fair it might just make someone think twice before fitting metal gear. I know it's unlikely, but even if it makes the difference a couple of times it's better than nothing.

BUT the likes of the NICEIC and Elecsa like them!
Electrical safety first
Best practice guide 1
That's why I would put a label on the consumer unit!

Which has no basis in the regulations. Fitting a sticker instead of installing a cpc/rewireing the circuit doesn't comply with the regulations.

Which regulation is that then?
If the customer doesn't want the work done then walk away from the job, simples.

It's not a regulation, as has already been stated. It's from a best practice guide, and it is a reasonable option where it is not practical/affordable to rewire the lighting circuit.

How is it reasonable? A sticker on the CU does nothing to improve safety.

I'd say that's nonsense, in those circumstances if it prevents someone who doesn't know any better from installing a metal fitting which could become live then it certainly has done something to improve safety ! Just because something isn't stated in black and white in the regs doesn't automatically make it a bad idea.

Reply to CPC/Earth feed to Light Switch Back Box in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock