Discuss Cu upgrade or not ? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

paulwalldall

Hi all. Not a working butnvq 3 after 3 yrs at college . Looked at wife's friends cu for her. Was tripping out at random. Checked RCA times and current all ok. Cu box looked rough with large hole in the top and two bare wires poking out. Checked insulation resist of main ring got 340ohms but didn't have time to check further. Also noted that all but one phase and neutral were all loose, and the cooker and old shower cables had melted together. Removed old shower cable and made good connections and burnt wire. Main switch seemed to be rated at 63amps and as client asked for a new shower to be installed I thought that cu would need upgrading even tho it's mcb and rcd.
advised her to ask someone more knowledgable than me.
professional came in fixed tripping( bad socket upstairs) and said box ok for shower its not very old. Wiring In place is 10mm and said he would go away and come back with a quote.
Question is this. Is the 63amp rating on main switch ok for a box feeding a ring main,immersion heater, electric oven and hob, and 9kw shower and lights etc or am I misunderstanding something.

I realise I have to tell local building control of work and present them with my works done and test results. For a certificate

Hi all. Not a working butnvq 3 after 3 yrs at college . Looked at wife's friends cu for her. Was tripping out at random. Checked RCA times and current all ok. Cu box looked rough with large hole in the top and two bare wires poking out. Checked insulation resist of main ring got 340ohms but didn't have time to check further. Also noted that all but one phase and neutral were all loose, and the cooker and old shower cables had melted together. Removed old shower cable and made good connections and burnt wire. Main switch seemed to be rated at 63amps and as client asked for a new shower to be installed I thought that cu would need upgrading even tho it's mcb and rcd.
professional came in fixed tripping( bad socket upstairs) and said box ok for shower its not very old. Wiring In place is 10mm and said he would go away and come back with a quote.
Question is this. Is the 63amp rating on main switch ok for a box feeding a ring main,immersion heater, electric oven and hob, and 9kw shower and lights etc or am I misunderstanding something.

I realise I have to tell local building control of work and present them with my works done and test results. For a certificate

Kin ell

and pay them a £300 fee.

Yes a long post I know. Diversity, thought about this but shower alone takes half the 63amp main switch load,, and its possible that dinners on in the oven and the hob being used along with plugs, tv, dishwasher and washing machine every weekend. The two burnt wires in box were cooker and old shower. Just wanted to be safe rather than safe enough in theory. Thanks.

Blimey! Didn't realise the fee was that high. Hoping to doo the job as a starter to more work. Can't charge her anything now. Explains the prices suggested to her and also why she asked me in the first place.

Either this post is a criminal windup or a windup criminal.

I had to read that bit twice

You're sick Glen, sick, what sort of mind would think of that?

I cant come to worktoday boss I'm sick
How sick are you
Well I'm in bed with my sister Boom Boom

So why do we constantly look for a new one.

On the off chance it might be different

The op wants to check his wives friends cu , can't see and problem really , If I was him I would also check the DI as well , after all it might not be up to the job... Ps Cables I mean,,

On the off chance it might be different

The op wants to check his wives friends cu , can't see and problem really , If I was him I would also check the DI as well , after all it might not be up to the job... Ps Cables I mean,,
You;re sick and all Ray

RE done anything notifiable yet. nope not yet. took a while to get tester and tools and as i had a full time job as cnc machinist wasnt in a rush. trying to do a friend a favour and keep it safe and legit.

Reply to Cu upgrade or not ? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net