Discuss Cu upgrade or not ? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

I love how Mike puts a pic of a bird up with her Giblets hanging out and then Ray immediately asks what has happened to Sarz

Hi all. Not a working butnvq 3 after 3 yrs at college . Looked at wife's friends cu for her. Was tripping out at random. Checked RCA times and current all ok. Cu box looked rough with large hole in the top and two bare wires poking out. Checked insulation resist of main ring got 340ohms but didn't have time to check further. Also noted that all but one phase and neutral were all loose, and the cooker and old shower cables had melted together. Removed old shower cable and made good connections and burnt wire. Main switch seemed to be rated at 63amps and as client asked for a new shower to be installed I thought that cu would need upgrading even tho it's mcb and rcd.
advised her to ask someone more knowledgable than me.
professional came in fixed tripping( bad socket upstairs) and said box ok for shower its not very old. Wiring In place is 10mm and said he would go away and come back with a quote.
Question is this. Is the 63amp rating on main switch ok for a box feeding a ring main,immersion heater, electric oven and hob, and 9kw shower and lights etc or am I misunderstanding something.

I realise I have to tell local building control of work and present them with my works done and test results. For a certificate

Apply the Electrical Trainee ruling.
1/ Does the CU need changing?
2/ How much money does the customer have?

Ooopps put 2 before 1

I'd be interested to hear what some of the more experienced chaps say to this as it does seem a fair bit for a 63 A switch.
It should not be designed like that, but it is unlikely ever to be a problem; most houses will take very little current in the grand scheme of things even with a shower and electric cooker.

and just so the thread does not go too far off topic!:nonod: I think I could support this team.
football.jpg

Just an observation, but how does one obtain a NVQ level 3 from completing 3 years at college, and working full time as a CNC machinist?? So where did the required work experience skills come from??

Thanks to those with advice on my query. regarding nvvq 3. we were told this was the qualification equivalent working to. course entailes 7hrs per week. split 50:50 between theory and practical build ups in workshop. gives various c&g passes, was just trying to present state of my knowledge tho i realise my "real world " skills are limited, especially tracing existing faults and knowing whats not exactly the same as in the book but is still acceptable and safe.
When i looked at job initially the cu looked poorly installed (bare wires, large hole on top for cables, screws loose etc) and the house had far too few sockets in each room , just didnt want to add to any problems there already was.

Hi,
I thought Paul had asked a relevant question, he had admitted his knowledge wasn't great and was looking for some constructive advice. Sadly it seems the post has once again slipped off topic and only a couple of knowledgeable guys bothered to reply with some information to help him out. Just my thoughts anyway.

Regards.

thanks. maybe its too much football beer. ah well . happy fathers day to all dads. :)

Shame, lots been said but not learning a great deal. diversity, yes, but common sense and cost/risk of more melting wires put questions in my mind. cost of council approval puts a spanner in the works tho. probably let her get a 'pro' in and pay them to decide.

what's wrong with swapping the main switch for a 80A or 100A?

Yes, I apologize to the OP, as Clive P has pointed out, looking back beer and football may have influenced a wandering off topic on my part.

Well I'm not apologising but I will say sorry :rolleyes4::rolleyes4:

I don't even know what the original question was, I can't remember anything meaningful before the Korean hottie, If anyone should apologise it should be Mike for putting us off!!

I had 3 choices, 1 to reply to the OP, However check out my signature, that would have broken the forum rules, 2 not to reply at all, yesterday was very slow and hardly any threads up due to the footy and I was bored so that was not an option, or 3 post something helpful, were all men yes? well those pictures were helpful were they not?

There you are then, no apology here, in fact I should have recieved several thanks for my trouble lol.

Reply to Cu upgrade or not ? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net