Discuss Customer needs advise in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All

Just been to a domestic property for reports of the tenants having electric shocks from the toilet, shower, bath, taps, radiators, etc, etc.

Voltage = LN 241v LE 214v NE 23v

Long story short - Main Earth was removed in the CU

Customer had a EICR back in December from Company A Ltd
Property has been empty since November till April, Tenant when from April till now having electric shocks till mentioning it to the landlord.

Company A is now in liquidation and no longer NICEIC
Company A is known for making up test results

The next problem is the CU was installed in start of November by landlord mate (down the pub) - Not notified or tested by him!

What can the landlord do as the tenants are threatening to sue him for renting house in a dangerous condition.

Hi All

Just been to a domestic property for reports of the tenants having electric shocks from the toilet, shower, bath, taps, radiators, etc, etc.

Voltage = LN 241v LE 214v NE 23v

Long story short - Main Earth was removed in the CU

Customer had a EICR back in December from Company A Ltd
Property has been empty since November till April, Tenant when from April till now having electric shocks till mentioning it to the landlord.

Company A is now in liquidation and no longer NICEIC
Company A is known for making up test results

The next problem is the CU was installed in start of November by landlord mate (down the pub) - Not notified or tested by him!

What can the landlord do as the tenants are threatening to sue him for renting house in a dangerous condition.
Looks like you may have got yourself into trouble, you are the landlord are you not lol

the CU was installed in start of November by landlord mate (down the pub) - Not notified or tested by him!

Hire a lawyer maybe?!?!

No I am not the landlord - I am the Electrician

He asked me to sort issue out and asking for advice.

As hes in Wales (alike me) I cant notify CU (after doing tests - under new regs) so I have advised him to go LABC and notify it that way playing dumb - not knowing it had to be notified
Then go to Trading Standards

Whats the thoughts please?

This Landlord is a 86 year old man who does not have much of an idea on what he should of done till I told him it should of been notified

If the landlord has acted in good faith then it's difficult to tell him what to do Nick. If he's engaged company A (in liquidation) to save money then he deserves everything he gets.
Tell him it's useless asking an electrician for legal advice but that he may have grounds for a claim against Company A (in liquidation) 's insurers. Go see a lawyer.
Best I can do for you Nick although some may do better than me.

What I am mainly asking is - is there anything he can do about Company A??

The EICR will be enough proof of due-diligence as it was done by a NIC reg (at the time) company and was told it was all above board

This Landlord is a 86 year old man who does not have much of an idea on what he should of done till I told him it should of been notified

An incompetent Landlord then, tough!

Sorry but that is no excuse. If you are in business then it is your duty to know what legislation you have to comply with.
I'm guessing that this is your grandad?

If the landlord has acted in good faith then it's difficult to tell him what to do Nick. If he's engaged company A (in liquidation) to save money then he deserves everything he gets.
Tell him it's useless asking an electrician for legal advice but that he may have grounds for a claim against Company A (in liquidation) 's insurers. Go see a lawyer.
Best I can do for you Nick although some may do better than me.

Company A - was not in liquidation when they did the EICR - he paid over £400 for it. and Company A was NICEIC at time.

Now in liquidation and not registered

If company A has gone belly up then I can't see a lot he can do,They are hardly likely to be forthcoming with their insurance details.

He can contact the NICEIC and see what they have to say.... be lucky to get an apathetic shoulder shrug probably.

I imagine company A did a lot of work for landlords, and a lot of landlords used them because they were dirt cheap, and they were dirt cheap because they were result fabricating fraudulent cowboys. I know of one firm in our town that does just that.

I agree the LL was 100% wrong for not getting it done by a reg spark or having LABC notify it after mate installed it.

But he was 100% right in getting Company A to test it once it was installed to make sure it was installed correctly.

I agree he needs a Solicitor

Thanks for the advice trev - I was not sure if he had a claim against Company A Insurance or not

So you're not the electrician formerly known as Nicholas Owen? You're a British Gas out of hours electrician (not engineer) who advertises UK made LED lighting and got full details from a landlord who you had no prior experience of, not sure if I'd pour my woes out to some random person coming to my house to do a job but never mind.
Pity, I liked Nick.

I said might mate not would have, me sparky not lawyer.

Thanks - I know you are a sparky Trev - I will mention it to him to ask his lawyer.

This company always seemed ligit as they worked for the council and they charge over £400 for a EICR. Only 8 circuits.

This director has had over 25 companies in 10 years - all similar names
Keeps getting council contracts as his relation is in the property maintenance within the council

Hes lost the contract every time within 3 months and gets a ban on the new company name then starts up another new one!

Reply to Customer needs advise in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock