Discuss Customer payments in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Have been toying with the idea of getting and using a sim card payment machine and wanted to know if anyone else using yet and of any downsides of it.
Poor cashflow is the main killer to a lot of small companies, more so in a slow time of year. I know banks keep saying cheques are going (can't see it myself) but knowing the money is clearing rather than waiting to see if cheque bounces has got to be a good thing.
I understand there are only three main companies offering the process, streamline seems the biggest but the charges for using seem to out weight the service.
cheapest i've seen is about £35 a month plus charges but offering this stops the hang it out before paying brigade. How do others feel about this ?

Last edited:
A bit of a bodgey but cheaper method would be PayPal. You could a get a cheap laptop with a 3G dongle and process payment online that way. Of course not everyone use PayPal...but a good percentage do!

I've looked at paypal, but a bit worried that a cock of a customer could try to revoke payment.

I've looked at it but seemed a bit expensive. I will keep looking for a cheaper alternative though because I think it's the way forward.

Barclaycard are priced similarly. For the portable unit works out about £25pm and 3% on transactions with a minimum £10.. The £25pm seems ok but 3% seems a bit steep, especially when people are wanting to pay less and less and im trying to keep charging the same. I really like the idea tho.

In fact looking at it another way, customer asks if i take card, i say no and either (a) take a cheque that could bounce or (b) wait until they return from a cash point which is 30 mins of my time that i could be on the way to another job etc. so if you are £30 an hour and you wait another 30 mins for payment youve just lost out on £15 for the cost of a 3% charge...

That said its just another item for me to lose or leave onsite somewhere

I have a barclaycard mobile terminal been using it for a few months now. Its the best thing i have done. No waiting for cheques to clear payment in my account in 2 working days. Customers like it saves them having to have large sums of cash in the house.

I have a barclaycard mobile terminal been using it for a few months now. Its the best thing i have done. No waiting for cheques to clear payment in my account in 2 working days. Customers like it saves them having to have large sums of cash in the house.

Do you mind me asking how much it is monthly as the site seems confusing with the offers. I'm quite tempted by the idea

Thanks
Rick

Its a good idea, maybe I should take one into the accounts department at Welsh Water. Had a cheque saturday for an invoice I issued on 11th November 2011. Thats 3 months and 2 weeks. They are a "not for profit" organisation. I didn`t realise that it meant "not for my profit".

Last edited:
We can take Paypal, google and credit cards and have an online payment thingie. Due to the services our related companies offer we've taken cards for about 8 - 9 years

Got free business banking atm, so cheques or cash in is free.

A percentage of earning to taxman, another percentage to NI. Flatly refusing to pay another percentage just for the right to get paid!! Especially with monthly fee on top, banks need to provide a decent alternative to cheques if they want to phase them out.

Its the 21st century, just about everyone has on-line banking so surely a bank transfer is the way forward?

I use this method but only after I have weighed up the client and even then my arse twitches to the thought of one day going to my bank account and finding it's been cleaned out. Having said that I have two business accounts and two personal accounts and I never keep all of the same eggs in one basket ;)

Reply to Customer payments in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock