• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Customers trying to be chancers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Cadgey123

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
How do you guys react when a customer tries to drive you down on price?

I am struggling at the moment to deal with that side of things because I take offence a little, when I know they have every reason to barter with me.
I just know I am very fair on pricing so maybe should stop being too sensitive.

Are they doing this before you start or during the job?

A bit of both.

Recent scenario:

I went to quote a job and I bent over backwards to meet the customer and their carpenter on 2 separate occasions to price a job.
Supplied them with a quote very quickly, same day, then I got a reply that I was too expensive.

I said I would review the quote and try to make to make it cheaper. I replied saying I couldn't help them with the price anymore as I had priced it accurately.

Then they text Sunday night with a price they thought was acceptable and said if you want you start tomorrow for this price (£600 cheaper) ....

Long story short they are now wanting to go with the original price but I am booked up for the week and they are calling me for everything because I can start this week??

How much, as a percentage of your original price was £600?

I tell people when I do the site visit, that I'm booked for at least 3 weeks (or more) and this avoids these situations.. if they think you need the work, they will try it on....

Usually story though, when you send a legit quote out these days..... " Can you do it cash to save the VAT."

£3000+

I feel like hitting my head against the wall sometimes. you quote for a job and then they turn round and say joe bloggs who says he is an electrician will do it far cheaper. Quoted for a CU change recently, the bloke turned round and said he has a quote for £200 inclusive of materials. I just looked at him like he was mad. i told him i cant compete with cowboys. at least im registered, insured and know what im doing. I did say that when it goes wrong or catches fire then i would be happy to quote the market rate to put it right.
It seems the customer thinks when you quote them that you are having them over as they all too often have there own copy of screwfix brochure and have added a few bits together. i swear it is because the cables are out of sight. if they call a plumber/engineer to fix a boiler they think nothing of paying for the service but call an electrician and they give you the evil eye as if you are robbing them.

^^ a screwfix catalogue on view always rings alarm bells.........

I've got a fairly good "nose" for difficult customers - and try to confirm this by giving a verbal indication of a price when I'm talking to them to see how they react.....

when they ask if they can save money by paying cash, I simply say the price will be the same for cash, cheque, or BAC's transfer....

I feel like hitting my head against the wall sometimes. you quote for a job and then they turn round and say joe bloggs who says he is an electrician will do it far cheaper. Quoted for a CU change recently, the bloke turned round and said he has a quote for £200 inclusive of materials. I just looked at him like he was mad. i told him i cant compete with cowboys. at least im registered, insured and know what im doing. I did say that when it goes wrong or catches fire then i would be happy to quote the market rate to put it right.
It seems the customer thinks when you quote them that you are having them over as they all too often have there own copy of screwfix brochure and have added a few bits together. i swear it is because the cables are out of sight. if they call a plumber/engineer to fix a boiler they think nothing of paying for the service but call an electrician and they give you the evil eye as if you are robbing them.

I feel you mate!! Screwfix is so convenient, but fills customers will heads full of carp what they think everything actually will cost

^^ a screwfix catalogue on view always rings alarm bells.........

I've got a fairly good "nose" for difficult customers - and try to confirm this by giving a verbal indication of a price when I'm talking to them to see how they react.....

when they ask if they can save money by paying cash, I simply say the price will be the same for cash, cheque, or BAC's transfer....

I am definitely still learning and even with this particular customer I and glad I stood my ground and told them no.

I feel you mate!! Screwfix is so convenient, but fills customers will heads full of carp what they think everything actually will cost
The worst i have come across was a guy who had prepared a spreadsheet and had itemised bits he felt the job needed down to individual clips. He had priced all the materials from ebay to the penny... done a method statement for what he wanted (couple of lights and 2 sockets in attic) and including timings for how long it should take. the bloke was a statistician and i swear a bit autistic..
when i quoted him he pulled it out.. i almost burst out laughing. thankfully i didnt get the job due to my exceptionally high quote...

What did he think it would cost on his spreadsheet gavin?
If i recall correctly as this was a year ago the materials he had priced at just over £30 inc delivery! (2 sockets, a light pendant, switch and backboxes, T&E and clips all from ebay!) - I didnt have the heart to tell him i could have got them cheaper as his colour printout looked so well presented. He allowed labour at 2 hours as he felt it wasnt too hard or a significant job. when i quoted £45 per point which i thought reasonable he looked as if i swore at him.... people can be funny

Reply to Customers trying to be chancers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back