Discuss Cutting Slots In In Metal Dist Boards in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

well Paul, if your jigsaw has served you well over the years, it's time to invest in a replacement. Oooorrrr use plastic ones, oh dear I'm in for some grief now

Last edited:
I thought all metal CU now had to be sealed to retain any fires within the enclosure. As such, what are you using to fill the 'slots' you're making?

I still use a cone cutter or a holesaw to cut 20 / 25mm holes and then use CTS glands to seal.

I thought all metal CU now had to be sealed to retain any fires within the enclosure. As such, what are you using to fill the 'slots' you're making?

I still use a cone cutter or a holesaw to cut 20 / 25mm holes and then use CTS glands to seal.

Nope, I don't know where you got that information from but it wasn't the regulations

Nope, I don't know where you got that information from but it wasn't the regulations

As per Consumer units - IET Electrical
it states

"The non-combustible enclosure or cabinet must provide a complete envelope (for example, base, cover, door and any components such as hinges, screws and catches) as necessary to maintain fire containment. All blanks, circuit-breakers and other devices must be contained within the non combustible enclosure or cabinet. Figure 5 shows an example."

Furthermore "
Sealing of wiring entries:

It is important for the installer to seal all openings into the enclosure or cabinet for cables, conduits, trunking or ducting that remain after the installation of cables - see Figure 6. The intent of the sealing is to ensure that, as far as is reasonably practicable, any fire is contained within the enclosure or cabinet and the escape of flames to the surroundings of the cabinet or enclosure or into conduits trunking or ducting is minimised, as intended by Regulation 421.1.201.
Good workmanship and proper materials must be used, and account must be taken of the manufacturer’s relevant instructions, if any."

NB. Diagrams also confirming this are contained within the said document (images removed due to copyright etc). :book:

Last edited:
As per Consumer units - IET Electrical
it states

"The non-combustible enclosure or cabinet must provide a complete envelope (for example, base, cover, door and any components such as hinges, screws and catches) as necessary to maintain fire containment. All blanks, circuit-breakers and other devices must be contained within the non combustible enclosure or cabinet. Figure 5 shows an example."

Furthermore "
Sealing of wiring entries:

It is important for the installer to seal all openings into the enclosure or cabinet for cables, conduits, trunking or ducting that remain after the installation of cables - see Figure 6. The intent of the sealing is to ensure that, as far as is reasonably practicable, any fire is contained within the enclosure or cabinet and the escape of flames to the surroundings of the cabinet or enclosure or into conduits trunking or ducting is minimised, as intended by Regulation 421.1.201.
Good workmanship and proper materials must be used, and account must be taken of the manufacturer’s relevant instructions, if any."

NB. Diagrams also confirming this are contained within the said document (images removed due to copyright etc). :book:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nJvLT7uwO58 forward to 13mins

IMO I still think most of these fires are down to inexperienced installers, did we have fire to the extent we have now before the onset of short training courses? I'll leave that for you to decide, as I said this is my opinion and mine alone I have no proof that my statements are true, just a gut feeling, there it's been said.

IMO I still think most of these fires are down to inexperienced installers, did we have fire to the extent we have now before the onset of short training courses? I'll leave that for you to decide, as I said this is my opinion and mine alone I have no proof that my statements are true, just a gut feeling, there it's been said.

I agree Pete and inferior products also don't help.

That appears to conflict with what is recorded within the IET document that my link takes you to (or at least my interpretation of it does).

The thing with it is that no where in BS7671 does it say that cable entries need to be sealed. 421.1.201 says that manufacturers instructions need to be taken in to account....so if the manufacturers instructions say they need to be sealed then you could seal them if you feel the need to. Wylex even do an extra which is an intumescent pad thats installed within the gravity flap door. Imo the manufacturers are taking an opportunity in making a profit on all the confusion that's been made by an ill thought out regulation.

The thing with it is that no where in BS7671 does it say that cable entries need to be sealed. 421.1.201 says that manufacturers instructions need to be taken in to account....so if the manufacturers instructions say they need to be sealed then you could seal them if you feel the need to. Wylex even do an extra which is an intumescent pad thats installed within the gravity flap door. Imo the manufacturers are taking an opportunity in making a profit on all the confusion that's been made by an ill thought out regulation.
Well said that man

Last edited:

Reply to Cutting Slots In In Metal Dist Boards in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net