Discuss D curve breaker in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

kzzam

I have been asked by a customer to solve a problem, he has a 3 phase 20A D curve breaker supplying 3 single phase breakers 2 x 6A and 1 x 2A. The 6A breakers are supplying 2 pumps with a load of about 4A each. When 1 of the pumps are turned on, the 20A trips. Any ideas why? The earth loop impedance is quite high but still within regs. Can this be the problem.

what size cable from 20A CB to the 6A and 2A?

Is this either of the pumps tripping the 20A or just one of them?
What tests have you done apart from EFLI?

When you say the ELI is high but within the Regs, what is the ELI? and on what circuits?

I suggested getting rid. It's a bit of a bodge. Trying to convince him to get a new system. If I can solve this he probably will. Not sure of readings another electrician took the readings. I am trying to do this over the phone! as he is considerable distance away. Cable is 6mm and 4 mm, either pumps trip the breaker. Insulation resistance of cable has been done is ok. I know I am taking someone's word for it. Just wanted to sound it out on here. 2A circuit isn't being used.

So you can't say in all honesty what the ELI really is, not having a go but you really need to get the exact reading for any opinion to be formed as to the problem, don't forget that table is for design purposes, might be better to use the table in the OSG, or apply the correction factor.

Yes I agree. Just wondering why the 20A trips and not the smaller c type breakers. I will have to go and test it all myself. I was hoping I could give him some sort of answer then when I got there I could rip it out.

So what you do is tell him that there are a number of possibilities but you'll have a definite answer for him after you've concluded your testing.

Not the intention of busting you mate, I meant that you'll look better because by saying that you're also saying that you're not going to baffle him with bullpoop over the possibilities and also that the answer you give him will be the right one.

What size motors are they? 4amp rating seems an oddball figure.
How long is the run from the 20amp breaker?

TBH you don't seem to have half the info needed here so not really any help we can give you, either go to site and evaluate or speak with this 'other' Electrician who has taken the ELI readings and get the relevant info' - you can't solve a problem with 'I think', 'Not sure' and assumptions.

What size motors are they? 4amp rating seems an oddball figure.
How long is the run from the 20amp breaker?

TBH you don't seem to have half the info needed here so not really any help we can give you, either go to site and evaluate or speak with this 'other' Electrician who has taken the ELI readings and get the relevant info' - you can't solve a problem with 'I think', 'Not sure' and assumptions.

I think you can...

actually I'm not sure...

I'm just making assumptions...

Reply to D curve breaker in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock