Discuss Damn Insurance companies in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Tony Way

-
Arms
Reaction score
I've just had a customer ring me saying that his insurance company is not going to continue cover unless all of the c3s mentioned on the EICR are retified.
Overall, the installation was graded satisfactory with some recommendations.
They are demanding a separate report to state it is Satisfactory. Now call me stupid, but I thought that was what the EICR I completed said.....

Has anyone come across this attitude from insurers or can suggest an approach to help the customer and get his insurers off his back?

Cheers

The insurance company can probably do whatever they like
If there are not many c3's get him to have them rectified

It's a pub and we will have to shut it down for a couple of days because most of the recommendations are for areas where staff work or customers are.
Can you imagine trying to get a landlord to shut for 2 days over the christmas period??

Yes but what no rcd protection?
No brown sleeving?
No warning labels?
If its really minor you could just right a letter saying its not to current regs but complies with earlier editions

Some 1s and 2s, but agreement to fix as found.
3s were things like lack of RCD for some circuits, unsupported cables, lack of labling
So I guess I'll go with ses and write the letter and see if that helps.

Thanks guys

Given the nature of the work required, could you not offer to work outside of opening hours? Obviously if you did so to help the landlord out you could charge an additional fee, or you could do it at your normal rate but for some other consideration (beer, promise of further work, a barmaid etc).

That way the insurance company get what they want, you get to do the work, and the landlord gets a 'safer' electrical installation without loss of trade. A win all round if you don't mind a late night/early morning or two.

Given the nature of the work required, could you not offer to work outside of opening hours? Obviously if you did so to help the landlord out you could charge an additional fee, or you could do it at your normal rate but for some other consideration (beer, promise of further work, a barmaid etc).

That way the insurance company get what they want, you get to do the work, and the landlord gets a 'safer' electrical installation without loss of trade. A win all round if you don't mind a late night/early morning or two.

As said above do it from 8 in the morning until 12 then see if he can close from 3 until 6 at night if they are not that busy in the afternoon. Otherwise closing for 2 days now maybe better than having no insurance cover at all and not being open over the christmas and new year period.

Reply to Damn Insurance companies in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net