Discuss dasy chaining boards ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

falcon0310

a big hotel group has asked us that they want 2 way dbs in each bedroom feeding one socket and 5 lights all led fittings, but they want the supplies to boards daisy chained from 10mm t&e or swa feeding 4 rooms per circuit. the only way ive ever done this is sub per board, but cant find anything in the regs, as so many jobs this is to save money but surely its not right

Not sure what you mean, 4 rooms fed from 1 number 10mm T&E? 1 D/B in each room? so in effect you will have a radial of 4 x 10mm connection points?

I'd want a section board on each floor feeding a room board off a 32A mcb. 4mm 3 core SWA to each

How you have described has a couple of issues, you would run the risk of overload and good luck trying to to terminate 2x 10mm SWA in a 2 way DB

Also nuisance tripping is a big problem, supply mcb trips under overload and you plunge 4 rooms into the 12th century.

they be mk sentry boards so that's not problem, only feeding 2 rcbos so that's why said 2 way but say use 8 mod with blanks be used, load be one double and say 300w max lighting

one db per room and will be supplied via 10mm looped in and out to feed other boards if that makes sence

As Hightower says good luck trying to terminate 2 10mm SWAs into a 2 way board, his suggestion has merit

What do your diversity calcs say ?
As hightower says, nuisance tripping is gonna be your get out here. Reg 314.1, division of circuits.

Falcon I'm not trying to pick holes in your design. If they want db's in each room then I really wouldn't be daisy chaining boards, I assume that the 10mm radial would be fed from a local board, so what happens when this circuit trips with overload because you have people like my lads who bring all sorts of equipment into hotel rooms.

Then the residents will have to wait till the night manager trips it back in and hope there's no fault.

Get a short circuit fault and the hotel has got 4 rooms off for maintenance

What do your diversity calcs say ?
As hightower says, nuisance tripping is gonna be your get out here. Reg 314.1, division of circuits.
I know what your saying, and even if goes on 40a c type at main db riser, as its hotel the room boards could feed the double socket on 10a, rcbo to stop this, they do not want geasts to plugin heaters and so on, but you are going get somone plugin hairdriers that could trip the 10a out

Falcon I'm not trying to pick holes in your design. If they want db's in each room then I really wouldn't be daisy chaining boards, I assume that the 10mm radial would be fed from a local board, so what happens when this circuit trips with overload because you have people like my lads who bring all sorts of equipment into hotel rooms.

Then the residents will have to wait till the night manager trips it back in and hope there's no fault.

Hightower as got it bang on , why are they asking for this, how many room's in this hotel.
I seriously think a better design is needed here.
And i just used my 800th post for this, so tell them they need to listen.

this is not my idea its there's !!!!!!!!!!!! save money on cable we all know that you should have one supply per board

I know what your saying, and even if goes on 40a c type at main db riser, as its hotel the room boards could feed the double socket on 10a, rcbo to stop this, they do not want geasts to plugin heaters and so on, but you are going get somone plugin hairdriers that could trip the 10a out

What kind of customer's are staying in this hotel :thinking:

Stand up to them and tell them it's a bad design, as for installing an 8 module board, well that's just plain daft

the hotel has 150 rooms, with so called electrical expert, that wants board per room that does make sense so only board in the room can trip out, so I agree but never have I looped board before, there other idea I cant even say as worse

this is not my idea its there's !!!!!!!!!!!! save money on cable we all know that you should have one supply per board

That's why I'd go back to them with a written summary outlining why it shouldn't be done and staying reg numbers!.

Also testing and certificating this would be a pain.

Multiple 10mm radials is not going to be all that much cheaper than individual 4mm's

Could even look to put multiple section boards on the floors if it's a big place.

the hotel has 150 rooms, with so called electrical expert, that wants board per room that does make sense so only board in the room can trip out, so I agree but never have I looped board before, there other idea I cant even say as worse

Oh go on, you need to tell us now lol.

It wouldn't be selsdon park would it ?

Falcon you know this is not the way to do the job as you have said, so you need to sit them down and explain it on a level they will understand. If you go with this design believe me you will be getting called back constantly, and they won't want to pay because they will blame you.
Regarding the " Electrical expert my advice would be take him to the top floor of the hotel, open a window and throw him out.

Reply to dasy chaining boards ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net