Discuss Data points for an office in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have finally been asked to do some work for a builder who I've been chasing for some time. However, he has asked me to install 20 sockets, 22 data points, spurs for blinds, a switcher and move the intercom. This is all taking place in an unfurnished office with existing dado trunking. The sockets and spurs are not a problem, its the data points, switcher and intercom that I'm worried about as I've never installed them before. I know I need to use cat 5e and RJ 45's but can anybody offer me any advice on the installation, connections and what tools I would need? I need to do this job, I can't pass on the opportunity.

Many Thanks

you need a switch panel at the server to feed to the data sockets. these a re connected using a 110 punch down tool similar the the telecom one. google data wiring and you'll find some info.

Greetings,

I have finally been asked to do some work for a builder who I've been chasing for some time. However, he has asked me to install 20 sockets, 22 data points, spurs for blinds, a switcher and move the intercom. This is all taking place in an unfurnished office with existing dado trunking. The sockets and spurs are not a problem, its the data points, switcher and intercom that I'm worried about as I've never installed them before. I know I need to use cat 5e and RJ 45's but can anybody offer me any advice on the installation, connections and what tools I would need? I need to do this job, I can't pass on the opportunity.

Many Thanks
To add a bit more to the replies so far, You need a 24 way connection panel and a switch which will be connected to the internet, this could be housed in a glass data cabinet, run the 22 data cables to the RJ45s from the cabinet and remember to leave slack both ends, you will need a tester to confirm correct connection and ensure the cores are not broken or damaged.

Remember, all data points need to come back to a central point, ie a server room. By the shortest route possible.....each line can not exceed 100m

Why are speed signs still imperial then?
i use miles and m XD

an rj45 tester is only £10.50 from screwfix (it come with aa piece of card showing right connections for crimps)

www.NoLinkingToThis/p/philex-network-cable-tester/93219

punch down tool

www.NoLinkingToThis/p/philex-auto-trim-idc-impact-insertion-tool/67391

(a proper krone tool is better quality)

rj45 end crimper

www.NoLinkingToThis/p/rj45-cutter-crimper/22799

To be honest it will be a lot easier to buy he cables pre-made up rather than making them.
your right its better for cable inside the panel

really depends on the size, there not too bad to make.

it depends on the run, when we do a network for our panels it can be anything from 5m-50m+

have a short lead so that you can test points without disconnecting them

If the sockets are for computers then you may not want them all on a single circuit.
Make them high integrity socket circuit`s
I got one of them RJ45 crimp tools on Saturday to make a long ethernet cable that i needed and it worked a treat. I found a diagram through a google search on how to terminate.

Reply to Data points for an office in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net