Discuss Dead socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mr_J

Hi all, I've found a dead electrical socket behind units in my kitchen, which came about after removing the units for some recent plastering work. The socket is on a wall which happens to be the other side of the consumer unit. I'm hoping to get an electrician to make the socket live again, as I think it would ideal to put a fused spur in place to provide power to a cooler unit. Can anyone provide me with an insight into how easy this is and what I'm asking an electrician for. I'm embarrassing clueless when it comes to installing electrical. I've been told there is no way of taking another feed to the socket, as there is already a feed in place from a socket above the bench to the under counter lights. So as it stands, I just wondered if was easier for an electrician to run a new feed back to the consumer unit, than it would be to try and trace an existing feed. Go easy on me! :)

Ask the Electrician to test and make sure it's OK to reinstate the socket

all depends on where you have to run the cable from. generally there are ways and means of doing it quickly and neatly, but not without seeing the job. my telepathic powers are weak today. not had beer yet.

I agree with Tel it's difficult to say without seeing the job first hand, but it shouldn't be that difficult, he said.

I went to inspect a "dead" socket just yesterday and I discovered that the isolation switch in the unit was broken. one new socket, one happy client!

Ok thanks folks, fingers crossed for it being a straight forward job.

Theres not much wrong with being embarrasingly electrically clueless. I wouldn't use the term embarrassingly, the fact is electrics are not your speciality, and theres nothing wrong with that, in fact is could be a good thing, as you are less likely to have a go and injure yourself or others. So you have done the right thing. Call the electrician, and tell him you would like that particular socket to work, and leave the rest up to him/her. They will give you best advice and tell you what can and can't be done.

Cheers..............Howard

Reply to Dead socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net