Discuss Design of consumer units for amendment 3 in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Leesparkykent

Esteemed
Reaction score
[PDF]Design Range of Consumer Units - Hager
www.hager.co.uk/files/download/0/12240_1/0/ConsumerUnit.pdf
Guidance from BEAMA (British Electrotechnical and Allied Manufacturers Association) who represent the UK ... minimise flames from escaping a consumer unit in the event of a fire. ... Annex ZB. ...... and (Annex ZA 16kA conditional).

look at the label in then DB page 10 lol! But I do like the cable clamp for the tails entering the main switch page 11.

It does look as if Hager have actually listened to electricians when designing these boards. I wonder if the figures will stack up. Saying that Hager have always been competitive.

Is there any mention of square grommets to fit the holes , and are these holes to be sealed once the cables installed , I like the clamp arrangement , would also be good if they supplied a db schedule that sticks to the inside of the door ...

Is there any mention of square grommets to fit the holes , and are these holes to be sealed once the cables installed , I like the clamp arrangement , would also be good if they supplied a db schedule that sticks to the inside of the door ...

Use grommet strip on the square holes
Why would the holes around the cables need to be sealed?

Exactly. The distribution board only need to be made from non-combustable material. So, it won't in itself catch fire. If it does not catch fire it won't matter about the holes as it will self-extinguish.

Use grommet strip on the square holes
Why would the holes around the cables need to be sealed?

Not sure if this amendment 3 would also mean sealing the void around the cable entries , i.e. in the rear knockouts , also grommet strip is o/k on the larger oval holes in rear but for it to stay in place on the square knock outs is something else , a grommet pack supplied would be better

Not sure if this amendment 3 would also mean sealing the void around the cable entries , i.e. in the rear knockouts , also grommet strip is o/k on the larger oval holes in rear but for it to stay in place on the square knock outs is something else , a grommet pack supplied would be better

They will require no more sealing than they do under the current version

With the grommet pack in mind these could be blind and would help in both respects , also its a bit pointless making a M/C board to contain any possibility of a fire with such a large rear knockout IMHO, again large oval blind grommets to fit the holes would at least help in some way...

Last edited by a moderator:
With the grommet pack in mind these could be blind and would help in both respects , also its a bit pointless making a M/C board to contain any possibility of a fire with such a large rear knockout IMHO, again large oval blind grommets to fit the holes would at least help in some way...

And then mount the DB on a bit of chipboard also lol

Who's making metal boards to contain fire? It's certainly not required under ammendment 3, that merely requires the board to be manufactured from a non combustible material not that it forms a fire sealed enclosure or anything like that

1. What is a definition of non-combustible?
There is no published definition for ‘non-combustible’ that aligns with the intent of regulation 421.1.201. Ferrous metal is deemed to be one example of a non-combustible material that meets the intent of the regulation.

2. What constitutes a ‘non-combustible enclosure’?
A non-combustible enclosure includes base, cover, door and any components e.g. hinges, covers, screws and catches, necessary to maintain fire containment. See diagram 1. Blanks and devices are contained within the non-combustible enclosure.

and as for cable entry's.

3. How is account taken of cable entries into a ‘non-combustible enclosure’ with respect to containment of internal fire and escape of flames?
Good workmanship and proper materials must be applied by the installer. The cable installation entry method shall, as far as is reasonably practicable, maintain the fire containment of the enclosure. Account shall be taken of the manufacturers instructions, if any.

Non-combustible material” means material that does not burn or give off flammable vapours in sufficient quantity for self- ignition when heated to 750°C

I can see different manufacturers will have their own interpretations and supply what they think is right , I heard the mention of wiska glands being used by some , I and others will just see what happens when it comes to it ...

1. What is a definition of non-combustible?
There is no published definition for ‘non-combustible’ that aligns with the intent of regulation 421.1.201. Ferrous metal is deemed to be one example of a non-combustible material that meets the intent of the regulation.

2. What constitutes a ‘non-combustible enclosure’?
A non-combustible enclosure includes base, cover, door and any components e.g. hinges, covers, screws and catches, necessary to maintain fire containment. See diagram 1. Blanks and devices are contained within the non-combustible enclosure.

and as for cable entry's.

3. How is account taken of cable entries into a ‘non-combustible enclosure’ with respect to containment of internal fire and escape of flames?
Good workmanship and proper materials must be applied by the installer. The cable installation entry method shall, as far as is reasonably practicable, maintain the fire containment of the enclosure. Account shall be taken of the manufacturers instructions, if any.

Care to cite your references for that? Is it something the IET has published or is it a third party's interpretation/opinion?

Reply to Design of consumer units for amendment 3 in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net