Discuss Diesel Scrapage scheme??? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

Octopus

So the Government is considering some form of diesel scrapage scheme..

I can't help thinking that its not just the older vehicles causing the problems so why don't they actively try and change peoples habits by:

1. Making children go to the closest school (we all know how much quieter the roads are each school holiday)
2. Lowering bus and train fares to encourage the use of public transport (where I live the 3.5 miles to town + a 1/2 mile walk is cheaper by car and paying to park all day at £7 than the bus)

Those are my ideas.... I'm sure there will be others...

what's a bus? they all finished and gone home by 5.00pm here. only public transport after 5 is taxis @ £15 a trip home from the pub.

Most Trades People like us drive a diesel van and over the years the price of diesel, (EM.... NO2) road tax has increased due to the realized facts that our mode of transport is not as good as what they thought it was back in 2003/5 (or there abouts?)

In the cities you can smell it and the fumes can really "get on your chest". This is partly due to the increase of all the extra buses to promote public transport, increasing the the amount of bus lanes, slowing down other traffic therefore standing still and burning fuel!

Scrapping a diesel van or car will not resolve the problem, regardless of how many we take off the road when faced with the amount of buses, HGV's and trains! NO2 emissions that come from diesel engines are very serious on health and need to be reduced to the acceptable levels with other countries. Easy to say when GB has the same population as France which has 3 times the land mass.

I feel the need to hug a tree...... Driving to the local forest right now in my diesel van with the hope that I dont kill a dolphin in process ;)

Last edited:
I've fitted a schooner's full rigging to the the roof of my Patrol....i'm currently awaiting the imposition of a wind surcharge.
When a confrontational dreadlocked child-of-swampy,can admit my sticking to one old diesel Nissan,has saved the energy,pollution and expense,of several hybrid vehicles,and their decommissioning...THEN,and only then,will i accept i have broken our planet :)

I've just driven a journey that took 20mins, which during the week can take 1 1/2 hrs. Too many vehicles on the roads nowadays. Blame that Beeching bloke, who closed down the railways. That journey I took today, the are on about building another park and ride which will just dump the problems somewhere else . They should be investing in trains or trams

I've fitted a schooner's full rigging to the the roof of my Patrol....i'm currently awaiting the imposition of a wind surcharge.
When a confrontational dreadlocked child-of-swampy,can admit my sticking to one old diesel Nissan,has saved the energy,pollution and expense,of several hybrid vehicles,and their decommissioning...THEN,and only then,will i accept i have broken our planet :)
And where are we going to be when they scrap the diesel plant that builds our country?
The fun guzzlers that drop the kids at school at 16mpg and as you say are scrapped prematurely , along with thousands of othe vehicles with built in financial obsolescence
is the real problem , along with the life span of the electric car batteries and their disposal and creation costs.

I caught a train for the first time in over 20 years. From a newly built station near me, to Leeds city centre. Free parking at the station and only £5.10 return. Journey only took 8 mins and they run every 20 mins.

Normally I would have driven, which normally takes 20 mins. Then pay and display for about £5 for 3 hours.

Now I absolutely hate going to Leeds but if I ever had to go again, I would defo take the train, even though I do love my beast.

Jay

I caught a train for the first time in over 20 years. From a newly built station near me, to Leeds city centre. Free parking at the station and only £5.10 return. Journey only took 8 mins and they run every 20 mins.

Normally I would have driven, which normally takes 20 mins. Then pay and display for about £5 for 3 hours.

Now I absolutely hate going to Leeds but if I ever had to go again, I would defo take the train, even though I do love my beast.

Jay
it's carrying 4 toolboxes, steps, drills etc. up and down all them stairs to get to the wrong platform that buggers me up with trains.

The cyclists in London are a right pita; ride about like they own the road and are dangerous to overtake. I reckon the government should build a massive new canal system, this could take alot of HGv's off the road, cyclists could kayak to work, canals could double up as storm/flooding defenses, it would also bring back the life of the working horse. Its a no brainer to me !

massive new canal system

but that would entail a few thousand Irish coming over. after all, back in 18th century,they had the intelligence to navigate the canal digging from pub to pub.

I'd stop all those trades person travelling from afar, to work on the new housing estate being done near me. All turn up in vehicles on their own, park all over the bloody place. Should have to live within a 5 mile radius of the site. The the contract should be given to the locals, like me!

Then I could sub it out to some bloke from Eastern Europe, and then I'd make;

Diesel Scrapage scheme??? upload_2017-5-6_15-49-39 - EletriciansForums.net

Jay
This sounded like a good idea,so i rang up the rail company,and they refused me permission to fit a towbar to the rear carriage...so the trailer will have to go back on the Patrol...

Can not a particulate filter be added to most exhausts to avoid all this upheaval?
Additional charges for vehicles going into city's will do nothing about the pollution.
And when the DPF needs cleaning or regenerating it just dumps it all out of the exhaust in one go, never really seen the point of them when you have to do that every X thousand miles

And when the DPF needs cleaning or regenerating it just dumps it all out of the exhaust in one go, never really seen the point of them when you have to do that every X thousand miles
To be honest I wouldn't know.
Generally how many 1000 miles would this be necessary?
Surely some sort of practical filtration/collection could be devised rather than have to scrap so many diesel vehicles. My 1600cc van does pretty good to the mpg and pulls well up hills etc, I doubt a petrol equivalent would be anywhere as good.

Reply to Diesel Scrapage scheme??? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock