Discuss Diesel Scrapage scheme??? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

I Think the government are totally missing the point on car/van pollution. By far the most pollution produced is in the manufacturing of vehicle.
Instead of scrapping vehicles use them for longer. Vehicles are virtually worthless when they get to 7-8 years old.
The older the vehicle the less road tax payable maybe. Big taxes on new cars to encourage us to look after and keep our old vehicles for longer.
Look what Cuba have managed over the years. Yes they may gas guzzle, but they are not adding to the pollution during manufacture every 7-8 years.

To be honest I wouldn't know.
Generally how many 1000 miles would this be necessary?
Surely some sort of practical filtration/collection could be devised rather than have to scrap so many diesel vehicles. My 1600cc van does pretty good to the mpg and pulls well up hills etc, I doubt a petrol equivalent would be anywhere as good.
How often a DPF needs cleaning/ regenerating depends a lot on the type of miles driven and how hot the exhaust gases get lots of slow miles clog it whereas fast motorway miles will have a regenerating effect due to higher running temps.
The downside to all these filters and cats is the lower miles per gallon as the exhaust gases are getting restricted leaving the engine

Reply to Diesel Scrapage scheme??? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net