Discuss Difference between Drivers and PSUs?? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Only problem is this driver is a 3 channel colour changer....Red, Blue and green, and each channel will vary to select intensity of colour....not really practical on a standard led

What about technically though? I have done disco lighting installs before so am familiar with that side. Along with the above controller I have the DMX link and a DMX controller which I will programme to turn the lights on and off when I want. I'm fine with the programming, and would save me having to buy a load of time switches and DC dimmers as could run it through DMX.

The only issue I can see is that the above driver only gives out 3x 350mA and the LEDs require about 900. Any way around this?

The reason they are 3 x 350mA, is each output is a proportional varied colour output, so by adjusting red, Blue and green give varied colours,

I know you can have each channel at whatever value at any time, i.e. ch1 (red) at 80% and ch2 and 3 at 0% and will just show red. I was thinking I could maybe have this as the three separate loops of LEDS that I need.

If I put a 3v 1000mA LED on 3v 1000mA supply it'll be fine. If it was on a 1.5v 1000mA supply it would be half brightness, but what about a 3v 350mA supply? Would that also give a lower brightness?

We have explained the principle of driving leds, and how they don`t work to voltage increases or decreases, we have also gone into pwm, pulse width modulation to control brightness by timing the leds on & off at speed. Now were going backwards...?

Ok Tazz, you're right, I don't quite understand it fully. Apologies. Don't worry, I'll just try my theories in practise and see if it works or goes boom.

Thanks for your previous advice

Reply to Difference between Drivers and PSUs?? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock