Discuss Difficult customers - and remedial works in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Ken77

How does everyone deal with difficult clients?

Today I have had a client kick off claiming we have scratched their floor. The flooring is lino so is prone to scratching. We have been putting spot lights and despite dust bowls and dust sheets some dust has got onto the floor and this has shown up every scuff mark on the floor.

We didn't take photo evidence of the floor prior to the work and nor did the client. We have had to move furniture so it is possible we may have caused some minor scuff marks, but I am sure these would go once the floor is cleaned properly. By minor I mean hairline scratch.

Client has asked us to leave the property before we had a chance to clear up properly so there is plasterboard dust on the floor and makes us look like right cowboys leaving a site in a mess.

I apprecriate that from the clients perspective it may look like light we have scratch the floor, but the is no certainity it was us. There was no evidence of scratches before the work commenced, but as I say these may have only become appararent due to the dust.

As the client hasn't let us clean up (despite us requesting to do so), we can't see what state the floor is in post work, so we can't compare it to how we found it.

We are likely to end in dispute over this.

In the same week - we have had a call out regarding an apparently faulty sensor light we installed that we have already replaced once.

On initial installation we used the existing wiring (which we tested and seemed fine). 1st senor lights (Microwave sensor) was replaced as client complained it was not operating as it should. 2nd sensor light was installed with PIR - after a short period we had a compliant it was flickering on/off rapidly or not coming on at all).

I replaced the sensor for free (material and labour) on the first occasion, but for this 2nd call out I feel it maybe necessary to carry out further investigation given that 2 lights have failed so quickly, and that this should be chargeable. The client feels we as though this should all be covered by us - and mere suggestion of an additional charge is outrageous.

What do other people do in these situations? Do other electricians walk around a house and make a note of every mark or blemish on the property prior to commencing work so this can be cross referenced at the end of the project?

Would you consider it reasonsible to charge for investigating the wiring further after 2 sensors have failed previously and you know it it not down to your workmanship! If it turns out that is was bad luck we had two shoddy sensors who should pay for our time for refitting faulty parts?

Your first scenario sounds like a straight forward insurance claim to me. The customer fills in a claim form, you furnish them with your side of the story and the client get paid out whatever is negotiated. This shouldn't prevent you from finishing the work or completing the clean up or getting paid for that matter either.

Second scenario is different, it swings around warranty claims. Personally I'd find the problem and fix it at my expense even if it is on the existing circuit. You should be able to get the faulty sensor lights refunded by your wholesaler and the labour would be for your account I'm afraid. Bottom line is you should be charging sufficient mark-up to cover warranty claims, you might come short on one job but more holistically in the long run with many jobs you should be in profit.

You sound like you have been fairly decent about it all to me. Think Marvo sums it up nicely, though if ultimately you do have to replace the vinyl and if the room is smallish I would just pay it myself rather than through insurance probably.

The second aspect is a little trickier possibly. I would probably replace the sensor again and if it fails quickly again put in writing that the circuit needs looking at in more detail and at greater expense. If the test results at the time of the initial install were fine then can't really fault you. I would try a different brand of sensor if possible.

With some clients you have to bit your lip sometimes mate, it's just part and parcel of it all.

Last edited:
Not sure about the units that are sold in the UK but the sensor lights and PIR's around here are notoriously unreliable.

Not sure about the units that are sold in the UK but the sensor lights and PIR's around here are notoriously unreliable.

I find they can be! Had several dodgy ones from reputable brands in the past.

Sounds to me like your first scenario, is the customer engineering an insurance claim. Submit your bill, and see how they reply back. Offer to have the cheapo bit of lino professionally cleaned. If they decline, depending on you insurance excess, I'd then put in the hands of you insurance company and let the assessor at them. If a piece of lino is the cheaper option, as suggested , you might have to concede.
This job would be alright if it wasn't for the customers!

Nowt as queer as customers, this is a bit off topic but at the other end of the scale I had a snag this weekend, I've been working away at an exhibition so bad to call a mate in to cover me, the customer then turns around and asked me to send her the bill to cover my mate, and it was my fault not hers! This is rare.

Nowt as queer as customers, this is a bit off topic but at the other end of the scale I had a snag this weekend, I've been working away at an exhibition so bad to call a mate in to cover me, the customer then turns around and asked me to send her the bill to cover my mate, and it was my fault not hers! This is rare.

A lot of the old time customers were like that up here . The money was on the mantle piece before the job was even started, and a place laid at the table at lunch time .
There are some left , but few and far between.

How does everyone deal with difficult clients?

Today I have had a client kick off claiming we have scratched their floor. The flooring is lino so is prone to scratching. We have been putting spot lights and despite dust bowls and dust sheets some dust has got onto the floor and this has shown up every scuff mark on the floor.

We didn't take photo evidence of the floor prior to the work and nor did the client. We have had to move furniture so it is possible we may have caused some minor scuff marks, but I am sure these would go once the floor is cleaned properly. By minor I mean hairline scratch.

Client has asked us to leave the property before we had a chance to clear up properly so there is plasterboard dust on the floor and makes us look like right cowboys leaving a site in a mess.

I apprecriate that from the clients perspective it may look like light we have scratch the floor, but the is no certainity it was us. There was no evidence of scratches before the work commenced, but as I say these may have only become appararent due to the dust.

As the client hasn't let us clean up (despite us requesting to do so), we can't see what state the floor is in post work, so we can't compare it to how we found it.

We are likely to end in dispute over this.

In the same week - we have had a call out regarding an apparently faulty sensor light we installed that we have already replaced once.

On initial installation we used the existing wiring (which we tested and seemed fine). 1st senor lights (Microwave sensor) was replaced as client complained it was not operating as it should. 2nd sensor light was installed with PIR - after a short period we had a compliant it was flickering on/off rapidly or not coming on at all).

I replaced the sensor for free (material and labour) on the first occasion, but for this 2nd call out I feel it maybe necessary to carry out further investigation given that 2 lights have failed so quickly, and that this should be chargeable. The client feels we as though this should all be covered by us - and mere suggestion of an additional charge is outrageous.

What do other people do in these situations? Do other electricians walk around a house and make a note of every mark or blemish on the property prior to commencing work so this can be cross referenced at the end of the project?

Would you consider it reasonsible to charge for investigating the wiring further after 2 sensors have failed previously and you know it it not down to your workmanship! If it turns out that is was bad luck we had two shoddy sensors who should pay for our time for refitting faulty parts?

IMO I would try and compromise with the client to go half - or if not, just take a slight loss and replace. Nothing worse than a bad word about your own company

IMO I would try and compromise with the client to go half - or if not, just take a slight loss and replace. Nothing worse than a bad word about your own company

I was told years ago that it takes years to build a good reputation , but you can lose it in a day.

I was told years ago that it takes years to build a good reputation , but you can lose it in a day.

When I started at my current place, servers were crashing daily and staff just couldn't trust the computers to be working one day to the next. It didn't take long to rectify the issues, but the staff had lost all faith in the system by then. I would say it must have taken a good 2 or 3 years for the staff to understand that the servers weren't typically going to crash any more, and that if they needed a computer for whatever reason they can trust that it will work for them.

So, yeah, not a truer word spoken in my opinion. Takes years to get rid of the bad memories, but one mistake and it's all for nothing.

That is why you just cannot take your eye off the ball.
Just turn the best job out that you can. Once you start compromising things go downhill very quickly.

You should have given them a letter the same day explaining you hadn't finished and would like to clear up and then if there is any damage caused by you, you will contact your insurer failure to allow you back on site would mean you couldn't asses any damage so wouldn't be able to accept liability or make a claim on your insurance. Keep a copy in with a complaints procedure

Offer to get it professionally cleaned, if they refuse then pass it on to your insurance.

We had a claim a few years back for a knackered landing carpet, edge got frayed when we lifted. We stretched it back and it wasn't noticeable but customer was informed anyway.
Customer wanted it replacing, I said get a quote and I'll cover it. Quote came back at £1600 for landing, stairs and hall. I offered to put £200 towards replacing the tiny landing carpet and they refused so it got passed on to my insurers. I sent a letter out informing the client that as it was now in the hands of the insurers I am playing no further part in the claim.
Insurance company offered to get landing repaired which cust refused and demanded whole lot was replaced, insurance sent out an independent assessor which resulted in insurance company refusing to pay a penny and threatened her with legal action as they viewed it as a fraudulent claim.

I've only made three claims in the last 10 years of trading and on all occasions I was glad it was taken off my hands because some customers just aren't worth wasting your time and effort on. If they want to make a claim then they will.

Last edited:

Reply to Difficult customers - and remedial works in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net