Discuss Difficult Service head in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I understand that I may have been hasty to take apart the service head but I have a job to do and I don't want to be wasting time. I'm not going to lose any sleep about cutting some tallies off. I'll phone up the suppliers, If they're going to get upset about it then I'll take it up with them.

Now to sound like a complete -------: while I'm new to the domestic game (and service heads!), I am an electrical engineer trained to degree level through an apprenticeship with 15 years experience in industrial electrics.

Then you should already be aware of concentric cable, test methods for establishing earthing arrangements, investigation methods for establishing methods of earthing, and remedial action to be carried out to rectify earthing problems.

I'm not belittling your qualification or experience, but degree or no degree, there still exists the probability of not having sufficient training for the task you are doing.

Think that's the main earth to the cu, any bonding conductors will/should be on the earth bar in the cu imo

I expect you joined the thread late Pete,I refer you to the post I made previously:)

That 10mm or 16mm green /yellow is probably your earthing conductor from the cut out to your consumer unit
You can verify with a continuity test
At the consumer unit you may then find some bonding cables for services

Yep, I'm going to start again, this is turning into a mess.
Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Take a deep breath, and go through each step in a logical fashion.

Ps when you've done, I would certainly ask the DNO to have a look at their cable termination, they might fit a proper shroud or they might say it's fine. Least you can note you've done so on your EIC.

Then you should already be aware of concentric cable, test methods for establishing earthing arrangements, investigation methods for establishing methods of earthing, and remedial action to be carried out to rectify earthing problems.

I'm not belittling your qualification or experience, but degree or no degree, there still exists the probability of not having sufficient training for the task you are doing.

Absolutely, and I won't do it again. My point is that I understood what I was doing was dangerous - potentially fatal if done incorrectly. I wanted to visually check which earthing arrangement it was before carrying out a test and I was a bit hasty in dismantling the head whereas I should've done the tests. Lesson Learnt.

Absolutely, and I won't do it again. My point is that I understood what I was doing was dangerous - potentially fatal if done incorrectly. I wanted to visually check which earthing arrangement it was before carrying out a test and I was a bit hasty in dismantling the head whereas I should've done the tests. Lesson Learnt.
Look, give WPD (I assume) a ring. They will most likely give you the phone number of the local team. Tell them you need a PME check done and meet them there. The ones round here are really nice blokes and very helpful/friendly, it's a good idea to get them onside. Once you know them you may be able to call them directly, they are just ordinary guys. They have come and pulled cut-outs for me without going through all the front office malarky. If you are going to continue working on domestic, they are a very useful resource.

I expect you joined the thread late Pete,I refer you to the post I made previously:)

That 10mm or 16mm green /yellow is probably your earthing conductor from the cut out to your consumer unit
You can verify with a continuity test
At the consumer unit you may then find some bonding cables for services
Sorry Des, yes you are correct:(

Don't take it too hard. I've tightened the odd supplier's head terminal screw where the tails were on the point of falling out. Just take things slowly and think twice before you do anything. Obviously, if anything's in poor condition, leave well alone.

Had a quick scan of the whole thread and cannot understand what the hell is going on here ??? The service head is a TNCS system with a concentric cable which has a LIVE red conductor and a unsheathed armouring which is a combined neutral/earth. You shouldn't be dismantling the cutout to look at connections. With 600a plus fuses protecting the cut out it is dangerous to mess or tamper with it. It looks like you have removed the bottom cable cover which exposes the cable armouring.

you can measure the loop impedance and can determine what earthing type you have from that. If the earth cable terminates in the side of the cut out the majority of the time it is PME (there are some cases that there is a link that has been removed inside the cutout but most of the time you can see the Earth connection of a TNS system sweated to the outside of the cable head.

or am I missing something.......

Had a quick scan of the whole thread and cannot understand what the hell is going on here ??? The service head is a TNCS system with a concentric cable which has a LIVE red conductor and a unsheathed armouring which is a combined neutral/earth. You shouldn't be dismantling the cutout to look at connections. With 600a plus fuses protecting the cut out it is dangerous to mess or tamper with it. It looks like you have removed the bottom cable cover which exposes the cable armouring.

you can measure the loop impedance and can determine what earthing type you have from that. If the earth cable terminates in the side of the cut out the majority of the time it is PME (there are some cases that there is a link that has been removed inside the cutout but most of the time you can see the Earth connection of a TNS system sweated to the outside of the cable head.

or am I missing something.......

Before I removed the covers, you couldn't see ANY of that. It was just a bunch of black boxes. I couldn't see the cable armouring(which isn't armour, its copper), I couldn't see the MET, I couldn't see the main earth. The one in the picture is the gas bond.

Because I couldn't see the MET or any earth cabling - I didn't know if it was TNCS or TNS for sure. Infact, at one point, due to the nature of the equipment it was suggested it may actually be TT but it isn't as the Ze is only 0.11 ohms.

So this is a TNCS system with an MET that can only be viewed or accessed by removing the main fuse. I have since learnt that I shouldn't have removed the covers and I'm getting it sorted with the suppliers. Lesson Learnt.

Hi dude,the world won't end,and we have all done madder things...just don't talk about it,and provide pictures.
The original information you seek,may have been found with a phone call.

What type of property is it?

Do some deleting,have a think,and come back to us.

@ best reply to your issue pal.

Also ignore some of the replies because im they are perfect and have been been perfect since day 1.

Good luck

So this is a TNCS system with an MET that can only be viewed or accessed by removing the main fuse. I have since learnt that I shouldn't have removed the covers.

Hi - I think this is not the MET. It is DNO infra, which is why it was inaccessible to you. The site might not be wired correctly and may not have a MET (if so you should create one).

Reply to Difficult Service head in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net