Discuss Dimmer Lights Banging Noise in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Daisy101

Looking for advice please!

Have dimmer lights in a bedroom, when they are turned on there is a loud buzzing noise from the light switch.
When the lights are turned off, the noise continues and the sound of electricity runs through the switch.
I have not turned on the switch or lights for over 5 days yet at all hours of the night the sound of banging randomly comes from the light switch and some of the down light bulbs.

It sounds like a pneumatic drill, and also some pang noises (like an elastic bang is being flicked).

Any ideas what is wrong? And is this a potential hazard?

Many thanks

It isn't uncommon for them to buzz, has it just started?
How many lights does it dim?
The more expensive brands incorporate other components to try and eliminate the buzzing but it is the nature of the switch for it to happen.
As for the banging I have no explanation, can't believe it is electrical.

Daisy101 your best option would be to contact an Electrician, if you post your location a member near you may be able to offer assistance.

Reply to Dimmer Lights Banging Noise in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

My kitchen has track lighting. It consists of three halogen light bulbs. I've had the fixture for more than 25 years with no issues. Last night...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Great forum with lots of advice read and greatly received over the years! I have a question here that I am hopeful somebody here can...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm in need of some advice. First of all i'm not an electrician but do have an understanding of electrics as i come from an electronics...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just looking for some advice. In a bedroom there are 5 downlights on a dimmer switch. When turned on, every now and again these lights can...
Replies
Views
My daughter is asking me if it’s possible to change her double light switch outside her bathroom to a dimmer. It’s a 2 gang switch that turns on...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock