Discuss dimmer switches no longer work ! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

paul777

-
DIY
Reaction score
hello all
can you help please last week bulbs blew then tripped at consumer box reset
since then my dimmer switches no longer work
1 in dinning room and 1 in living room ?
they blew on separate days
one i have had for around 5 years the other 1 year
thank you Paul

With Halogen lamps which I assume you have, when they blow they literally create a 'Fault" situation within the lamp and that is why they often trip the protection device as well, I have know Halogen lamps to take out a BS 3036 rewirable fuse.

Unfortunately often as well that "Fault" will take out dimmer switches and all you can do is replace them

When you say "No longer work" do you meant that they come on but do no longer dim or do you just have no light at all?
Did you change the type of lamp that you use?

I am wondering that as well, and as Malcolm says sometimes the dimming function dies especially on the cheap dimmers.

What I have noticed is the standard "bulb" design has a halogen lamp with in it at a lower wattage to be equal to the previous say 60watt, this could then have an overall lower wattage than required for the dimmer, thus needing a resistor in line or different spec dimmer, or more lights!!!
Basically as Philpot is saying.

Where are you Paul777 we are all dieing to know.
I have nearly been caught out with small energy saving fluorescent candle lamps with a very small base. This makes them look like an incandescent lamp. It seems odd that two dimmers would go so close together.

hello
and thank you all for replying
both switches cost around £30 they are crome plated
living room light has 3 bulbs
and dinning room has 3 bulbs
the switches are fully working but no longer dim
i am getting concerned now as all my rooms around the house have dimmer switches not the bathroom ! just checked bulbs there are 60 watt gls bulb
are you all saying i can go and buy a new dimmer switch tommorrow and if the bulb blows again so will the dimmer switch ?
thank you all paul

You need to check the wattage rating of the dimmer sw. Mine is a min of 200W for it to work properly I've got 4x60W. So your 3x60w = 180W kapeesh

Yup, unfortunatly, thats what we're saying. Dimmer switches = problems. I've had to change a good Hamilton switch we fitted twice now for a customer under warrentee because the cheap lamps HE buys from tesco's blow and knacker the dimmers. All in my own time. The last time I said I wouldn't do it again. You could buy cheaper white ones and just change the guts.
Thats electrics for you.........

was just going to say the same. buy decent 400w plastic dimmer and swap the actual dimmer onto the metal faceplate.

PS, it won't break it every time a lamp 'blows'. Depends upon what fault current flows. You'd be better off fitting normal switches and compact florescent or LED lamps. Zero maintainence.

i had the same problem with down lighters kept blowing the dimmers then i changed all the lamps to fused ones still blow the dimmers then the customer bit the bullet and replaced them all with Halers LED problem solved

PS, it won't break it every time a lamp 'blows'. Depends upon what fault current flows. You'd be better off fitting normal switches and compact florescent or LED lamps. Zero maintainence.
compact fluorescent. YUK. better off with candles.

compact fluorescent. YUK. better off with candles.

And of course there are alternatives to these fires in the ceiling lights ...............................

1920s-english-antique-light-fittings-2-available-129612932619103-f.jpg

bloody 'ell, malcolm that's got to be as old as you.

ET...... home.LOL

generally find them at car boots, usually with bits missing.

re help
hello all
only now got around to check these dimmer switches one tells me nothing the other has this 60-250w
i have 3 x 60 w bulbs in the light fitting = 180
is the dimmer unit in side the switch replaceable ?
if they are what are they called can i buy them from screw fix
thank you paul

Buy a cheap plastic plate dimmer, pull the knob off, undo the nut and the dimmer will part from the front plate, then it will become obvious what you have to do with the existing chrome one. If it's not obvious the I'd suggest getting an electrician in to fix/change them.

Reply to dimmer switches no longer work ! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net