Discuss Dishwasher repair garage submain in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

madmaz

-
Reaction score
just had a customer in the phone saying that an engineer refused to work on her broken dishwasher because of a failed earth loop test and no rcd being present

The setup is as follows

Tt supply

From the House consumer unit a 10mm twin and earth runs through the house buried in the wall following safe zones etc into an enclosure where it changes to swa and runs under ground into the garage terminating in a 2way garage cu with main switch which feeds a 32a socket circuit and a 6a lighting circuit the dishwasher is plugged into the garage socket circuit the submain is on a 40a mcb protected by a 30mA rcd,

The rcd has been omitted from the garage cu as the submain required rcd protection due to the cable route and being a tt supply

He is saying there should be an rcd in the garage cu ?? I say no for discrimination reasons, does he know something I don't ?

Thanks

Doesn't sound like it, the circuit has an rcd to provide fault protection. How did it fail the earth loop test.

not sure but she is without the appliance for another week as he refused to work on it customer has asked me to meet with the engineer to show him the rcd !!
Mr Dish is not being helpful and I'd be inclined to provide some customer feedback and see if they'll reschedule a visit. Squeaky wheel gets the oil etc.

Guess he was using a socketansee tester with the lights in and expecting <1ohm not realising the implications of TT and besides which is he in a position to insist on RCD on an older system?

Plug the washing machine in via an RCD adapter. Problem solved he can work on the device. In fact why doesn't the engineer just have one in his pocket anyway.

Yes via the submain. But having one visible next to the machine would make a happy engineer. Even if not needed.

expecting <1ohm not realising the implications of TT

That is almost certainly the explanation
They seem to be recipients of very limited installation knowledge,it must serve them adequately for the vast majority of installations other than when they meet a TT system.

When they do encounter a TT,their very limited knowledge and very basic test instrument,it may often end with the word that frightens the average user "Danger" and a still not repaired appliance as a bonus

he was called out to investigate a fault with the appliance
Anything to do with the house wiring is none of his business!

why was he testing the earth loop anyway? The only reason I can think of is so the company can sell more work..

Whats the company that was called out for the repair?

Reply to Dishwasher repair garage submain in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net