Discuss Distribution Board Height in a Small Cottage - Full Rewire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Right doing a job for my registration assessment so got to get it spot on. Job is an old cottage but been stripped right out and complete rewire. Am I correct in saying the dB hight has to be at the same hight as light switch? Seems far to low if u ask me.

recommended height for a DB is between 1400 and 1500 mm above floor level. that's in the building regs, not BS7671. however, this applies to new builds, same as the 450mm -1200mm for sockets and switches. on a rewire, it's down to you and the client to decide where and how high things are fitted.

recommended height for a DB is between 1400 and 1500 mm above floor level. that's in the building regs, not BS7671. however, this applies to new builds, same as the 450mm -1200mm for sockets and switches. on a rewire, it's down to you and the client to decide where and how high things are fitted.
So it could stay at the original hight just need to replace old 16mm tails and earth.

as long as it's accessible and not in a stupid location, then it can stay. don't forget the cable entries into metal CU should be secure and the IP rating compliant. i.e. IP4X top. IP2X elsewhere. what's the earthing system?

The recommended height given in part M is that the switches of the consumer unit to be at a height of between 1350mm and 1450mm. As this is a rewire the consumer unit can go at a height that doesn't make it any more unsatisfactory than before the work was started.

My CU is about 2m off the floor on the wall in a kitchen cupboard which you realistically can just about reach if you are over 6ft. A mate of mine has his under the stairs in a tiny cupboard about 400mm from the floor.

that's nowt. an estate near me, built circa 1970 has all the wylex 3036 boards fitted under the kitchen sinks.

as long as it's accessible and not in a stupid location, then it can stay. don't forget the cable entries into metal CU should be secure and the IP rating compliant. i.e. IP4X top. IP2X elsewhere. what's the earthing system?
I'm glad u said that I just put my second fix list in and forgot the gland for the tails!! It's tncs earthing.

If your assessor is doing his job properly then he won't take 'it's what the guys on the forum told me' as a suitable answer if he asks why you decided to locate the CU in a certain place!

I did a CU change a few years ago, then the kitchen was refurbished. I had to move the CU again. As space was limited, I suggested housing the CU in one of the wall units, with suitable access. I obviously hadn't explained things properly, as when I went back to 2nd fix, the CU was in a cupboard right above the double oven :mad:

If your assessor is doing his job properly then he won't take 'it's what the guys on the forum told me' as a suitable answer if he asks why you decided to locate the CU in a certain place!
And I very much doubt that would be the answer the op would give his assessor.......There is no harm in seeking advice from other electricians, after all this is what this forum is here for so electricians can discuss things!

Reply to Distribution Board Height in a Small Cottage - Full Rewire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock