Discuss distribution board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

I was wondering if anybody has come across black stub slv? My mums church consumer unit is a nightmare. All of the connections are black stub slv, with half on them not marked as live. Thats ok for the ones that were already connected in the board. But in the board were some wires just connected loose in connector blocks! None of the circuits have an earth either. The main earth bond is there, i have just never come across a board that does not have a seperate earth with each circuit.

Hi

I was wondering if anybody has come across black stub slv? My mums church consumer unit is a nightmare. All of the connections are black stub slv, with half on them not marked as live. Thats ok for the ones that were already connected in the board. But in the board were some wires just connected loose in connector blocks! None of the circuits have an earth either. The main earth bond is there, i have just never come across a board that does not have a seperate earth with each circuit.

Not pyro, by any chance?

By black stub slv do you mean black stub sleeving i.e MICC cable conductor sleeve??

If so, the outer the outer sheathing of the MICC cable is the CPC and tbh, you wont find a lot better even after 30+ years.

What problems are you having??

Yes I've got loads of stub sleeve in the shed, along with all of the other parts of MICC terminations.

What you have there is a type of cable called MICC, it is the preferred cable type for church wiring. As for having no earth I very much doubt it, in fact I'd go so far as to say it most certainly does have an earth on every circuit!

Stub sleeve is exactly that, a sleeve, it is put over the bare conductors and the 'stubs' of the plastic seal of the termination.

I'm shocked that someone who is working in a church doesn't know what MICC is, what cable are you installing if not that?

I am not installing cable, I am going to change the distribution board as the current board is an old rewireable and in a shocking state. I'm doing it free for experience with guidance.

Quite possibly as this I havent worked on this yet. And plesd dont all start shouting. I have another electrician coming in to help I just want to have some info before hand.

Another electrician? Did the first one not know what this is either?

There is going to be a lot of shouting I'm afraid! An electrician who doesn't even recognise a common cable like micc when they see it is not an electrician in anyone's book! Even if they are incapable of working with this cable an electrician should recognise it, especially in a church where it always was and often still is the only type of cable allowed!

Another electrician? Did the first one not know what this is either?

There is going to be a lot of shouting I'm afraid! An electrician who doesn't even recognise a common cable like micc when they see it is not an electrician in anyone's book! Even if they are incapable of working with this cable an electrician should recognise it, especially in a church where it always was and often still is the only type of cable allowed!

I suggest you shout at prospects college then, because they never once showed us this.

So if this is being done under the guidance of an experienced electrician how come you're not asking him/her what it is and how it should be dealt with?
I'd be pretty ticked off if I found an apprentice was scared to ask questions on site, perhaps mostly ticked off with myself for giving the impression that questions weren't allowed. It's how an apprentice learns.
I must have driven my mentor mad while I was a boy.

So if this is being done under the guidance of an experienced electrician how come you're not asking him/her what it is and how it should be dealt with?
I'd be pretty ticked off if I found an apprentice was scared to ask questions on site, perhaps mostly ticked off with myself for giving the impression that questions weren't allowed. It's how an apprentice learns.

I will ask him tomorrow, but want to have at least done as much homework myself as possible.

I am not installing cable, I am going to change the distribution board as the current board is an old rewireable and in a shocking state. I'm doing it free for experience with guidance.

Walk away if you have no experience of working with micc, it's easy once you know how but until then it is easy to make some expensive mistakes!

For a start the cable sheath forms the earth of the circuit which connects via a compression ring in the gland and onto the steel surface of the DB. You need to ensure a mechanically and electrically sound connection with the steel surface or find another way to earth the sheath, making a brass gland plate or using earthing nuts may work. Or reterminating them all with earth tail pots.

Also you may need to reterminate some of them which requires the correct tools and some experience. Plus knowing how far you can or cannot bend it without cracking the sheath if it's old.

And if it's imperial MICC you may well need to solder a new pot onto the cable or carefully shape the sheath with emery if you need to re-terminate. Not a job for the inexperienced!

You see Trev, the difference here is that when you were a boy, the computer or internet had not been invented ;-) just kidding, but it's true, these days people turn to the internet first, which I guess is good for certain things, but if you are under the supervision of another, then you should really be asking them.

You see Trev, the difference here is that when you were a boy, the computer or internet had not been invented ;-) just kidding, but it's true, these days people turn to the internet first, which I guess is good for certain things, but if you are under the supervision of another, then you should really be asking them.

I turned to my mentor first, and I still do. I'm not averse to phoning the guy I served my apprenticeship with even today if I am unsure of something. And the reverse is also true, he phones me for advice or to just talk something over sometimes.

Reply to distribution board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net