Discuss diversity- commercial kitchen in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

atm84

-
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what diversity any of you may apply to a commercial kitchen. All electrical appliances. So far I've added everything up and total max demand before diversity is 220amps.

I've applied 70% overall at the mo but just wondered what others would think.

As Archy says, a commercial kitchen will need assessing on it's individual needs... especially an all electric one ! There is guidance regarding ovens/cookers in the OSG for commercial use as I recall.

I'm actually trying to ascertain the load for the DNO application so no joy of being able to do any load monitoring. Yeah I've had a look at OSG, its says 100% of largest load, 80% for the second and 60% for the rest. Wondered of anyone had any other suggestions?

I'm actually trying to ascertain the load for the DNO application so no joy of being able to do any load monitoring. Yeah I've had a look at OSG, its says 100% of largest load, 80% for the second and 60% for the rest. Wondered of anyone had any other suggestions?

Get a gas supply in ?

This is all dependent on the use of the kitchen and that has to be your guide to applying realistic diversity.

You can generally assume that any cooking appliance should be taking power less than 50% of the time, however you also need to account for initial start up, where a kitchen opens and everything it turned on at once.
Then you can assess which items will not be in use all the time (if any). If you have a small kitchen and a large clientele then most of it could be on most of the time. A new batch of frozen chips in the fryer every five minutes keeps the load running.
A large kitchen just ticking over and only using half the appliances is also quite possible, but not normally something a business would like to see!
Watch out for the highest loads starting up, but remember a kettle will only be on for 1 minute at a time.
Then assess the protection and how long you have on peak current demand before it falls over!

Get a gas supply in ?

Yeah my thoughts exactly but they don't want that. Don't know why as cooking with gas is much better

When you say you are curious, is it you that is responsible for determining the max demand for this commercial kitchen or others?? If it's you and you have no experience of assessing a commercial kitchens max demand, you'll probably get it wrong....

I'm sure it will never be 100% correct as diversity is never an exact science. Its merely a best guess. I am endeavouring to ascertain the max demand in order to submit an application to the DNO for a budget estimate. I do not have the luxury of asking the chef on the use of the kitchen. I have only been provided with the information of the equipment and that it will only be used for approx 3-4 at a time per day. Like I say in my OP I have allowed for all equipment and then applied a factor of 0.7 overall to estimate the max demand.

When you say you are curious, is it you that is responsible for determining the max demand for this commercial kitchen or others?? If it's you and you have no experience of assessing a commercial kitchens max demand, you'll probably get it wrong....

Positive as always Engineer 54.

Agree with eng. One of my clients runs a busy pub/restaurant and flat out the kitchen pulls 110a. Single phase. Gas hob. Everything else electric.

To be honest, i've never seen electric hobs in a proper commercial kitchen, they have limited controllability so the Chef's won't use them, they have always been gas, even on ships. Gas has only just recently, being replaced by induction hobs on liner/cruise ships....

To be honest, i've never seen electric hobs in a proper commercial kitchen, they have limited controllability so the Chef's won't use them, they have always been gas, even on ships. Gas has only just recently, being replaced by induction hobs on liner/cruise ships....

Michelle Roux Jr has recently replaced all of his gas appliances with electric, including all induction hobs, in all three of his restaurants . Bit of useless info for you there :D

He was saying that most chefs he knew were going down this route as a result of gas price increases.

Michelle Roux Jr has recently replaced all of his gas appliances with electric, including all induction hobs, in all three of his restaurants . Bit of useless info for you there :D

He was saying that most chefs he knew were going down this route as a result of gas price increases.

Get you hobnobbing with the cream of the crop!!

Reply to diversity- commercial kitchen in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net