Discuss DIY blue flashing lights - choosing lights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

JamieJ

My dad is an emergency driver. All he has is a dash light that I bought him from amazon last year. Since my dad is an electrician I thought I would get him some blue LEDs so he can make his own lights as he complains about the price of emergency lighting.

Last edited by a moderator:
My dad is an emergency driver. All he has is a dash light that I bought him from amazon last year. Since my dad is an electrician I thought I would get him some blue LEDs so he can make his own lights as he complains about the price of emergency lighting.
Your post is a trifle confusing Jamie, where are you intending to fit these LEDs and what have they got to do with emergency lighting?

Since my posts of links to the products i was going to buy was removed I'll just copy the specs

Blue 10mm LED
  • Quantity : Package of 20 Pcs
  • Emitted Colour : Blue
  • Size (mm) : 10mm
  • Lens Colour : Water Clear
  • Peak Wave Length (nm) : 465 ~ 470
  • Forward Voltage (V) : 3.2 ~ 3.8
  • Reverse Current (uA) : <=30
  • Luminous Intensity Typ Iv (mcd) : Average in 8000
  • Life Rating : 100,000 Hours
  • Viewing Angle : ±10°
  • Absolute Maximum Ratings (Ta=25°C)
  • Max Power Dissipation : 80mw
  • Max Continuous Forward Current : 30mA
  • Max Peak Forward Current : 75mA
  • Reverse Voltage : 5~6V
  • Lead Soldering Temperature : 240°C (<5Sec)
  • Operating Temperature Range : -25°C ~ +85°C
  • Preservative Temperature Range : -30°C ~ +100°C
Packages Includes:
8000mcd 10mm Blue LED x 20pcs

Pre-Wired Blue:
  • These LEDs are designed for 12 volt applications. Complete with built-in current limiting resistors
  • Just connect the positive (+) and Negative (-) wires to your battery or power supply.
  • Quantity : Package of 20pcs
  • Wire Length: 20cm
  • Emitted Colour : OCEAN BLUE
  • Size (mm) : 5mm T1 3/4
  • Lens Colour : Water Clear
  • Peak Wave Length (nm) : 465 ~ 470
  • Voltage (V) : 9V ~ 12V
  • Reverse Current (uA) : <=30
  • Luminous Intensity Typ Iv (mcd) : Average in 10000
  • Life Rating : 100,000 Hours
  • Viewing Angle : ±10°
  • Absolute Maximum Ratings (Ta=25°C)
  • Max Power Dissipation : 80mw
  • Max Continuous Forward Current : 30mA
  • Max Peak Forward Current : 75mA
  • Lead Soldering Temperature : 240°C (<5Sec)
  • Operating Temperature Range : -25°C ~ +85°C
  • Preservative Temperature Range : -30°C ~ +100°C
Packages Includes:
Pre Wired 12V 10000mcd 5mm Blue LED x 20pcs

Your post is a trifle confusing Jamie, where are you intending to fit these LEDs and what have they got to do with emergency lighting?

Basically emergency lighting is very very expensive. Were talking £60 per light.

So I thought since my dad is an electrician why not buy some parts so he can make his own

Should it not be the case that your Dad is supplied with his blue lights rather than buying or making his own?

If your dad is to be fitting them then it would be best to ask him what he wants and what will be compatible with his vehicle and his needs. You don't want to splash out on something that is not suitable, and he is best placed to make the decisions about what equipment is needed.

If your dad is to be fitting them then it would be best to ask him what he wants and what will be compatible with his vehicle and his needs. You don't want to splash out on something that is not suitable, and he is best placed to make the decisions about what equipment is needed.

it costs £5 for 40 LEDs

I wanted it to be a surprise for Christmas :(

Welcome to the forum.

The prewired LEDs state they have current limiting resistors which means you do not need to control the current and can connect them directly to the power supply without them burning out.
I think it might be a nice gift. But you may need to supply a few more bits so that your dad can make the assembly as soon as possible.
An obvious inclusion would be a means of causing the lights to flash.
Initially an indicator flasher springs to mind but the standard types may operate the LEDs whilst they are off as well, as they have simple circuitry, so it would be best to make sure you get an LED flasher unit (cheapest ready to use thing available).
Inclusion into light fitting on a car can be complex as they is often limited space and wiring potential.
Hope it works well.

Welcome to the forum.

The prewired LEDs state they have current limiting resistors which means you do not need to control the current and can connect them directly to the power supply without them burning out.
I think it might be a nice gift. But you may need to supply a few more bits so that your dad can make the assembly as soon as possible.
An obvious inclusion would be a means of causing the lights to flash.
Initially an indicator flasher springs to mind but the standard types may operate the LEDs whilst they are off as well, as they have simple circuitry, so it would be best to make sure you get an LED flasher unit (cheapest ready to use thing available).
Inclusion into light fitting on a car can be complex as they is often limited space and wiring potential.
Hope it works well.

My dad has a seperate battery in the back for his radios anyway and they are already wired so I dont think wiring will be a problem as there is plenty of space. I will look into a flasher unit is there any u can recommend that will be compatible with the pre wired?

Don't trust those ebay lights. Edited pics to make them look bright.

I've bought the LEDs and an alternating flasher.

My dad will have switches already.

For the alternating lights then you are starting to get into circuit design in a more complex manner.
A flasher unit operating a changeover relay one output connected to each side would work but your on off switch would no need to be double pole to isolate both the relay and the LEDs.
Start with the simple stuff and offer more if the first trial is successful.

Jamie, which emergency service is you dad employed by as an emergency driver ?
I may be wrong but I believe that there are quite a lot of restrictions on who can use blue flashing lights and on what vehicle (i'm assuming we are talking UK by the way). It sounds like you may be thinking of fitting these to a private vehicle which I believe would be against the law unless it is registered and insured as an emergency vehicle. If it's not a private vehicle but provided by the employer then you should check with them as to fitting of additional accessories such as you are thinking.

Reply to DIY blue flashing lights - choosing lights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net