Discuss DIY "electrician". Is he breaking the law? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sorry have to disagree with some of that, many jobs have the safety of other in their hands..the electrical trade is no different than a bricklayer or a carpenter they all need to do their work to a more or less reasonable standard so it doesn't fall down and clobber someone. The difference seems to be that for some misconceived reason the sparks seem to require some sort of heavy policing[/QUOTE]

This is,and always was,due to that inevitable driver, of money. Any war,legislation,onerous sentencing,or direct government involvement,is only generated by one thing,cost.

The technical trades,which were usually restricted by the nature of their required higher academic input,were generally at the higher end of the pay scale. This meant that the people benefitting,whether the employed or the employers,had sufficient "fat",to be skimmed off,in the name of safety or regulation.

There are no governing bodies,schemes or regulation,for leaflet droppers or car washers. No disrespect intended.

There are several reasons to believe that the scheme system,was more related to tax gathering,as any safety concerns,and nothing that has happened since it's inception,has convinced me otherwise.

Indeed,a great many topics covered on this forum,regarding new entrants to the domestic job,and recently completed work,of a sub-standard,would suggest a distinct lack of "heavy policing",or any redress or monitoring whatsoever.

It is,what it is...and we groove on ;)

Sorry have to disagree with some of that, many jobs have the safety of other in their hands..the electrical trade is no different than a bricklayer or a carpenter they all need to do their work to a more or less reasonable standard so it doesn't fall down and clobber someone. The difference seems to be that for some misconceived reason the sparks seem to require some sort of heavy policing
I wouldn't say "heavy Policing" is required, what I would say is anyone who deems to be an Electrician needs to be fully qualified, with the relevant experience and be certified by a certifying body, a bit like a Gas engineer would be, one body one trade imho, after all we wouldn't want unqualified people working on electrical installations, would we?????????????????

Ok guys so I have a friend of a friend who has zero electrical qualifications. He's setup his own lighting business doing LED conversions. He mainly swaps fluorescent light fittings for LED panels and sometimes adds extra fittings too. He's done so in offices, factories, gyms and he's soon going to be working in schools. He hasn't got any test instruments and doesn't get any Zs values for any of the circuits that he's worked on and therefore doesn't produce any sort of certification.

My question is, is he breaking the law?

I find it crazy as the company I work for requires a minor works certificate every time I replace a socket outlet or a light switch.

No if he's only repacing fittings/Yes if extending curcuits on public buildings although if said then they should already have testing every 3 years for him to refer to with or without RCD protection . Re doing my Gas Safe next month and its all Statutory so no grey areas there n so easy to follow hint hint . OOPS BnQ etc will have to stop selling half there gear LOL

Last edited:
Does this mean that as a basic sparky I cant do any work without being a member of these organisations, if so how long has this been the case? I haven't come across this before, does it involve doing more learning?..i hope not as I'm not up for that at my age, or maybe because ive been in the game for so many years I would get through anyway on length of service anyway, that seems fair

Does this mean that as a basic sparky I cant do any work without being a member of these organisations, if so how long has this been the case? I haven't come across this before, does it involve doing more learning?..i hope not as I'm not up for that at my age, or maybe because ive been in the game for so many years I would get through anyway on length of service anyway, that seems fair
as long as you are competent, you can do any work that you want to. only thing you'll have a problem with is notifiable work, to see what jobs are notifiable to your LABC, download part p doc. from planning portal.

Reply to DIY "electrician". Is he breaking the law? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net