Discuss Diy-er, weird issue with ceiling rose wiring for new light in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

stevewak

Hello all,

House is 22 years old. Wiring probably not done brilliantly to start. This is the second ceiling light in a small room I use as an office. Was child's bedroom and I cannot state 100% if this light ever worked.

Anyway, I fitted two new Habitat lights, ditching horrid Chinese block connectors with lights and using better choc blocks(sp?). One switch only. One nearest switch has THREE cables going into it (twin core and earth) from ceiling and two black wires that were used for the light fitting. Took old one off, put new one on and it works. I kept the original ceiling rose base as the wiring was fiddly.

This one (below) I ditched the base but used choc block to replicate connections, again using two black wires to the fitting. I have checked repeatedly that it is connected - the light will hang on just the screwed choc block connections - but it does not work. Previous light (second since we moved in, horrible Ikea I thought was bust) did not work. I have not checked that this new light fitting is working as it is a big fiddle to undo the grub screws holding it to the base. I am sure it is OK, and I have also tried a simple bulb in a base which does not work either.

Power on, switch on, my testing screwdriver glows on all wires (both blacks). Switch off, only on the reds.

What's wrong? Any ideas gratefully received. I have looked at other roses in the house and they all seem to have THREE cables.

CEILING_WIRES.jpg

You are using the wrong test equipment test screwdriver nooooooooooo

Yes, I'm sure a proper electrician would have all the proper tools and would know how to sort it out in two ticks. I'm just looking for a steer on what might be wrong. The house should have been wired by a professional. It's hardly worth getting someone round for this and I hardly use the light. It's the annoyance factor.

Please call an electrician in your local area before you have an accident, I am sure someone will do this for you for little money.

Sounds like you've lost a neutral somewhere. Without proper test gear I'm afraid you will struggle to find it. I'm sure there will be someone on here close to you that would have a look and not cost much.

Sounds like you've lost a neutral somewhere. Without proper test gear I'm afraid you will struggle to find it. I'm sure there will be someone on here close to you that would have a look and not cost much.

Thank you - makes sense to me. I don't know what they did with it originally, It might never have worked. I think it can be got at from the loft.

I'd bin your "testing screwdriver" and get yourself a cheap digital multi meter. They you should be able to test the cables.

I'd invest on a continuity tester. One of them black must be the neutral

I'd bin your "testing screwdriver" and get yourself a cheap digital multi meter. They you should be able to test the cables.

If you are going to attempt DIY electrical work, please ensure the power is switched off and locked off first. Personally I think you should stop what you are doing and get someone else to look at it. We all do a bit of DIY and go outside of what we usually do, but remember, electricity kills peoples and I dont think we should be advising people to use a multi meter or similar to test it encase he does it live.

I'm going to have to agree with everyone else on here. Please bin the screwdriver, it doesn't take much for it to go wrong and you will end up with potentially fatal consequences touching it to a live conductor.

Thanks again, yes I do/will. I will get someone in or collar someone working on a nearby job. Should I disconnect the light and just leave the wiring as it is?

Its your call, but I would say disconnect the light from the connector block (whilst circuit is isolated) and and then get someone to look at it, just ensure there are no live wires hanging loose without some form of connector on the end.

Its your call, but I would say disconnect the light from the connector block (whilst circuit is isolated) and and then get someone to look at it, just ensure there are no live wires hanging loose without some form of connector on the end.

Excellent - will do. Appreciate the helpful advice.

Makes a pleasant change to see a thread like this not degenerate into insult after insult. Daz

Reply to Diy-er, weird issue with ceiling rose wiring for new light in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net