Discuss DMX Dimmable LED Downlighters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sparkybob1980

I'm out of my depth on this one and need help!

I have been asked by a customer to source and install some LED downlights (50W equivalent) that he wants to dim in increments of 0.5%. He's talking about somethin called DMX that he's seen at a home building show. A trip to my wholesalers was useless - they just shook their heads.

Does anyone know if such a thing exists, and where I can get them? And what dimmer do I need to control them?

All the best, Bob.

Stage lighting suppliers would be able to assist you with DMX systems.

Please reply to the message I just sent you, thanks.

DMX is commonly used to control stage lights, our local theatre uses them, suggest you try looking at stage lighting.

Send me a PM..... you could say I've rather got the T-Shirt on this one! However, your client has been sold a turkey if he thinks he'll be about to spot .5% incremements on LED (or even tungsten!). 5% after the first 30%, maybe.

DMX is a digital control system that sends a stream of values between 0 - 256 (0% - 100%), in up to 512 channels at a time (put incredibly simply). So, one digital controller can operate up to 512 channels of lighting (going even more simple!).

Blue room will just confuse a standard sparks, as all the discussion tends to be about what it's controlling or the desk that's driving it. Plus, they're all a bunch of anoraks (or they were the last time I looked!)

2000-01-01 00.07.04.jpg DMX controller

2012-07-12 17.31.01.jpg DMX controller

2014-02-19 13.16.01.jpg DMX dimmer (72 x 20A channels)

2014-02-19 19.59.16.jpg Pretty

indeed.

Hi SparkyBob,

Could you supply more information?

Does your customer already have the DMX controller? Is it a home automation system like Mode or Control 4?

Does he want to control each downlight individually, or as a bank?

This is becoming more and more common, and it's not scary! Regards Ed.

Hi Mayfair,

It's the actual downlights themselves I'm struggling to find. I've tried the theatricals but they don't know of anything that will look OK in a domestic setting...

My customer has found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mhE8OylBdAI

After a bit of digging I've found this kit online but it would be about £885 for eight downlights. Is this reasonable?
Is anyone aware of anything like this but at sensible money?

Cheers, Bob.

Send me a PM..... you could say I've rather got the T-Shirt on this one! However, your client has been sold a turkey if he thinks he'll be about to spot .5% incremements on LED (or even tungsten!). 5% after the first 30%, maybe.

DMX is a digital control system that sends a stream of values between 0 - 256 (0% - 100%), in up to 512 channels at a time (put incredibly simply). So, one digital controller can operate up to 512 channels of lighting (going even more simple!).

Right!

If your client wants to replicate that video, then they will need to have deep pockets. Because - you've got n number of fixtures (you say 8, fair enough). I'm going to guess that each individual fixture needs at least 4 channels of DMX (and probably more like 5 or 6) so you then need a way of outputting 32 ch's or more of DMX (not hard) but in a programmable way, which means that you need a) a clever controller and b) experience in programming. Or of course it might be that the manufacturer sells a custom controller anyway.

There's a company in Cambridge called Pulsar ( PULSAR - DMX LED Lighting and Lighting Control System for Entertainment and Architecture ) who make a range of LED products which might suit you instead, but don't expect any change from a grand at least.

Guys, I'm more than happy to help on this one (and that's NOT a sales pitch!) and give you a hand, Gloucester is well within my reach (I used to live south of Cirencester and work in Cheltenham) - you just need to ask.

Just had a REALLY quick look, and yes, Collingwood do enough product to be able to put something together, but it's not individually addressable lights, it's every light the same.

Thanks guys, I'll phone Pulsar. I'm new to this game and £850 - £1000 for eight downlighters seems just incredible! I'd normally be quoting a tenth of that!

Reply to DMX Dimmable LED Downlighters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net