Discuss Do I need a rewire? Advice and quote in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

V

Vickya

Hi,

I would love some advice. Do I need a rewire? I've attached a picture of the fuse box. As you can see it has older type grey wire. If I do need work how much roughly would it cost to rewire an empty 2 bedroom cottage?

Many thanks

Vicky

Do I need a rewire? Advice and quote IMG_0230.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

from what little i can see, it appears that the wiring is pvc insulated and sheathed. if it is in sound condition, there's no reason why it won't be good for years to come. only way to verify this would be by visual inspection and testing. replacing that fuesboard is an obvious improvement. a good electrician would test the installation first before proceeding and advise on any remedial work and any extra sockets etc. you may want.

Thank you for your advice. I just don't want to get ripped off if it's not needed.
Many thanks Vicky

Hi Vicky and Welcome to the Forum!
You have asked a question that can't really been answered from afar as Tel has said. For me, that old fuse board should be retired when doing electrical updates as part of a renovation, say.

Thank you for your advice. I just don't want to get ripped off if it's not needed.
Many thanks Vicky
i know a good sparky in Leeds who covers Halifax area. he's a sound, honest bloke. if you could pm me contact details i can pass them on to him.

The fuseboard most definitley needs upgrading, if you hire an Electrician to do this then he/she will have to test the installation as well to certify it. When they do that you will have a much better understanding on the electrical installations condition.

I'm never one to raise unnecessary work, but if the installation is of the same age as the board, it may be worth considering if there are sufficient sockets and lights in the house right now? While it may be a small dwelling you may find the kitchen lacking in points, or the living room etc.

If you think the installation is a little insufficient for the future demand, a quote for a re-wire should be cheapest when the property is vacant.

The fuseboard most definitley needs upgrading, if you hire an Electrician to do this then he/she will have to test the installation as well to certify it. When they do that you will have a much better understanding on the electrical installations condition.

I'm never one to raise unnecessary work, but if the installation is of the same age as the board, it may be worth considering if there are sufficient sockets and lights in the house right now? While it may be a small dwelling you may find the kitchen lacking in points, or the living room etc.

If you think the installation is a little insufficient for the future demand, a quote for a re-wire should be cheapest when the property is vacant.

Great! Thank you for your reply. This is very helpful.
Does anyone know how much I would be talking for a basic rewire of a 2 bedroom cottage? It's in Halifax.

Many thanks

Vicky

can't really estimate without personal visit to determine what you require. while one person is happy with XX number of sockets, another wants YY. also, there's a big cost difference between white plastic and chrome metal accessories. see what G.M. says. he will give you spot on advice.

can't really estimate without personal visit to determine what you require. while one person is happy with XX number of sockets, another wants YY. also, there's a big cost difference between white plastic and chrome metal accessories. see what G.M. says. he will give you spot on advice.

Thank you. He called me and as offered an electrical check certificate £125. I was just worried as last time I did that on my past house he sold me a full rewire. It since turned out that it was un needed. I'll maybe need to get a couple of quotes before jumping for the full rewire this time. Thanks for all your advice.

Are you buying thus as a long term home? If it's empty now, and you plan to renovate room by room, it may, and I say may, be sensible too consider a rewire if the testing shows issues and you plan many changes.....

I would love some advice. Do I need a rewire? I've attached a picture of the fuse box. As you can see it has older type grey wire. If I do need work how much roughly would it cost to rewire an empty 2 bedroom cottage?
why do people think that when a buy property's
has old has the pyramids they think they do not require electrical work.

why do people think that when a buy property's
has old has the pyramids they think they do not require electrical work.

Reply to Do I need a rewire? Advice and quote in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock