Discuss Do I need to be registered with a competents Person scheme for minor works? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

Thomas Grange

hi all

my question is do I have to be registered with a competent person scheme like the niceic or elecsa to issue a minor works certificate after doing minor works in a clients dwelling?

i have completed my part p and 17th edition also testing and inspecting

thanks

if you dont sign up then you need to notify building control before!!! work comences

if you join a self certification scheme e.g. nic, elcsa,napit, stroma etc then you can notify after

usually the yearly fee is cheaper than paying the fee to labc 2/3 times

Last edited:
or join the revolution. boycott the scams. refuse to join. it worked for the poll tax.

List of Notifiable work.
Thanks for posting that grid it's a useful reference.
I found this one which basically says the same thing.

Quoting from:
Page 15 - 1.5.2 - IET - Electricians guide to the building regs.

Regulation 12(6A) of the building regulations 2010 describes notifyable work as follows:
A The installation of a new circuit
B The replacement of a consumer unit
C Any addition or alteration to existing circuits in a special location.

You would also need to consider if the 'minor work' you are carrying out for your customer, is not part of build they are carrying out that requires building regs. For example, extending existing circuits in a kitchen extension. The customer would have to prove 'that safety standards have been achieved' (a lift from my LBC) in relation to the electrical work, before a final building regs certificate is issued for the building work. Otherwise LBC may charge a fee for inspection & testing (my LBC indicates a fee of £400+vat).
If you are running a business, restricted to minor work, I think you might find it hard. If it's private work, you just have to worry about the tax man :p

Last edited:
my question is do I have to be registered with a competent person scheme like the niceic or elecsa to issue a minor works certificate after doing minor works in a clients dwelling?

I would hope that the general public would not let you in to their homes without being registered. The schemes are in place to check your qualifications, your work, your way of work and your level of insurance. By being a member of a registered scheme, especially NIC or ELECSA you are ensuring your customer that you are what you say you are.

Untill electrical work comes in line with gas work, making it illegal to carry out electrical work without being registered, then the world will be plagued by people like you trying to save a buck. If your a self employed electrician, and unless your subbying on a big contract, then you'll probably, depending on how well known you are, not know your workload after 2 months. For people like yourself, you need to save a little each week for next years registration. Then when that day comes around you have the money, simples. Get yourself registered, stick at it and you shall be rewarded. :seeya:

I would hope that the general public would not let you in to their homes without being registered. The schemes are in place to check your qualifications, your work, your way of work and your level of insurance. By being a member of a registered scheme, especially NIC or ELECSA you are ensuring your customer that you've probably come from working in a call centre, done a 5week course and are now a (cough,cough) fully qualified twin and earth fitter.

Untill electrical work comes in line with gas work, making it illegal to carry out electrical work without being registered, then the world will be plagued by people like you trying to save a buck. If your a self employed electrician, and unless your subbying on a big contract, then you'll probably, depending on how well known you are, not know your workload after 2 months. For people like yourself, you need to save a little each week for next years registration. Then when that day comes around you have the money, simples. Get yourself registered, stick at it and you shall be rewarded. :seeya:

corrected that for you.

I would hope that the general public would not let you in to their homes without being registered. The schemes are in place to check your qualifications, your work, your way of work and your level of insurance. By being a member of a registered scheme, especially NIC or ELECSA you are ensuring your customer that you are what you say you are.

OMG, where's my tin hat, incoming! :p

Reply to Do I need to be registered with a competents Person scheme for minor works? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock