Discuss Do I need to be with an approved body? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

daveb

-
Reaction score
Hi All,

Been self employed running my limited company since May. Am away to start doing some sub contract work for a bathroom installed, and they have asked me to let them know which approved body I am with because I am doing electrical testing?

Correct me if I am wrong, but unless you are doing new builds, extensions or EICR's - you dont need to be with an approved body. As long as I am an electrician and 17th edition, I can test and issue my own certificates.

I am based in Scotland.

They are with Select, so I would assume that they would supply me with their Select test sheets and I would use them.

Thanks

I didn't think Part P applied in Scotland. but yeah you still obviously need to test and cert your work.

Yep you're correct.

and you don't need to be with a scam to perform testing, either.

and you don't need to be with a scam to perform testing, either.

it is a complete scam isn't it? I looked at joining NICEIC because Select want me to go for my approved electrician first wheres NIC dont. However, both schemes are still about an £800 outlay - thats £400 to join and £400 membership! I can't afford that right now and am not too bothered about working on new builds anyway.... much better types of work out there.

yes you are right - doesn't apply in Scotland so technically I'm correct in what I am saying??
Not necessarily. Just because Part P of the Building Regulations in England & Wales does not apply in Scotland does not mean that there isn't something else which requires registration.

How does the Building Warrant system operate?

Reply to Do I need to be with an approved body? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I am currently going self employed. I was never put through any 18th edition courses, so have booked myself onto my 18th wiring regs. I want...
Replies
Views
Hello all, First of all I apologise if this is in the wrong forum, I figured the general forum may be the best bet :) Thank you for taking...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Been browsing these forums for a while, always great to learn a new way to skin the same cat. Anyway, cut a long story short, was an...
Replies
Views
I have completed my health and safety and, I have an ecs card. I need employment to be able to progress with my training onto a fully qualified...
Replies
Views
Completed my AM2s start of this year. My whole career plan is to run my own company/sole trader. Be my own boss basically. I always get asked...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock