Discuss Do socket outlets in a Pub need to be RCD/RCBO protected! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Is this pub a one off or are your company involved with chain because your QS maybe maintaining continuity through the Reporting system.

Yes and the current edition/amendment just like all the other editions/amendments, states installations constructed to earlier editions may not necessarily be unsafe.
Failure to take on board this fact, is failure to conduct the inspection in accordance with the current edition/amendment of BS7671.

It states that compliance with a previous version does not necessarily mean it is unsafe, it does not say that compliance with a previous version excuses non-compliance with the current version.

It means that you cannot code something purely and solely for the fact it complies with a previous version. if there is danger, potential danger or an improvement can be recommended for safety then it should be coded accordingly regardless of the previous editions. Otherwise no progress will ever be made.
A good example is that the old wiring colours comply with a previous version but do not comply with the current version, there is no danger, potential danger or improvement associated with it so it gets no code.
On the other hand an enclosure where live terminals can be accessed without the use of a key or tool complied with a previous version but do not comply now and would likely receive a C2
Thee are many more simple examples like this.

I don't see this as a grey area at all. I do not concern myself with what ifs and maybes and scenarios you cannot predict or foresee, make a statement of fact that socket outlets do not have additional rcd protection, sensibly Code it, move on.

It doesn't matter whether it excuses compliance with current Regulations.
The fact remains that the IET are never going to say that a situation which was deemed safe in previous editions is now unsafe. (The legal ramifications would be enormous.)

BS7671 requires us to make observation on non-compliances which may give rise to danger.
If the Regs. do not consider a non-compliance which complied at the time of construction to be unsafe, how can you then state the situation is potentially dangerous?

It doesn't matter whether it excuses compliance with current Regulations.
The fact remains that the IET are never going to say that a situation which was deemed safe in previous editions is now unsafe. (The legal ramifications would be enormous.)

BS7671 requires us to make observation on non-compliances which may give rise to danger.
If the Regs. do not consider a non-compliance which complied at the time of construction to be unsafe, how can you then state the situation is potentially dangerous?

Well they have, there are many things which were once required by the regulations which are no longer compliant, fused neutrals being one example.

If the regs do not now consider an item which complied at the time to be unsafe now then it is not unsafe, however if the regulations do now consider it to be unsafe then it should be coded.

Fused neutrals complied with a previous edition.
Unfused supplies complied with a previous edition.
Bare conductors on cleats complied with a previous edition.
Green being used for L3 complied with a previous edition.
Open fronted switchgear complied with a previous edition.
Bare conductors encased in a wooden moulding complied with a previous edition.

The point is that if an item does not comply with current regulations and it is immediately dangerous then it is a C1
If an item does not comply with current regulations and is potentially dangerous it is a C2
If an item does not comply with current regulations and an improvement can be recommended for safety based on current regulations then it is a C3

Bare conductors on cleats complied with a previous edition...
Bare conductors encased in a wooden moulding complied with a previous edition.
What editions permitted bare conductors on cleats and in wooden containment? Single insulated conductors yes, but bare conductors?

What editions permitted bare conductors on cleats and in wooden containment? Single insulated conductors yes, but bare conductors?

Off the top of my head I think it's in the 9th edition that I've seen it.
Just to clarify I'm talking about bare conductors on cleats which are not placed out of reach or behind barriers etc as is now required.

Hmmm.
Says bare conductors on cleats which is still allowed.
Then says bare conductors encased in wooden mouldings.
As far as I am aware, wooden backed accessories and wooden containment are still allowed.
Not sure about the bare conductors encased in wooden mouldings?

If an installation has been installed to a previous addition of BS7671 eg 15th/16th and still complies with that edition should not make the installation warrant a C1 (danger present .risk of injury immediate action required ) or C2 (potentially dangerous) the standard of additional safety of which electrical installations are installed to has changed/improved .Other regulations eg H & S acts may come into play and require RCD protection. I can't see what Part P has to do with a EICR however if I am correct it comes into play if certain work is undertaken when the domestic and business premises share the same meter.
for what reason

Reply to Do socket outlets in a Pub need to be RCD/RCBO protected! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net