Discuss Do you lock off? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Do you lock off?

• Always

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Usually

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Rarely

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Never

Votes: 12 18.8%

• Total voters

HandySparks

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
When working on domestic premises with a modern board, do you lock off the circuit breaker or main switch?

I sometimes do, but not often.

I make an assessment based on:
Who else is in the house. Just me, or several others? Are young children or confused old people present?
The height of the board. Is it out of reach to someone standing on the floor?
The location of the board. Is it close to or visible from the work location? Would someone have to walk past me to reach it?
The type of work I'm doing. Am I replacing an accessory or just changing a lamp?

Shoot me down.

as a whole it should always be done as we know.. bs7671 states when aggravated by other trades main switch can be locked off for up to 2 hours for "maintenance" ... lol

In domestic premises I only sometimes lock off with a locking kit. I do however always safely isolate and keep the situation fully under my control, and there are many more ways than locking off to achieve this.

In an industrial environment, if I saw someone working on a machine e.g replacing a motor without locking off they would be fired on the spot.

There are times where isolation isn't possible e.g for testing/fault finding. That's a whole different ball game, different precautions would be in place.

OK, couple of examples.

1) Adding a new socket to an upstairs bedroom. The CU is in the hallway, 2ft off the floor with its hinged cover missing. There are small kids running round the house and you know you're going to have to leave the job from time to time to bring in tools and materials. Of course you lock off.

2) The single homeowner has left you alone in the house to replace the kitchen ceiling light. The CU is also in the kitchen, located just below ceiling height. Both the CU and the work are out of reach from floor level. Would I lock off? No.

It's all a matter of assessing the risk. My most serious injury as a tradesman was from falling from a height of 5ft off a pair of steps (not too serious, but bad enough). I've also had numerous cuts, usually from stripping cable sheath.

Electrical incidents have involved cutting through a couple of live cables that I thought were dead (a non-contact voltstick would have warned me otherwise). When I'm terminating cables which are part of an existing installation, I use VDE tools and, where possible, make a habit of handling them as though they might be live. As Andy78 says, it's not just about locking off.

Its all about risk assessment...... now where is my lock off kit??

edit: I have just been working on a 3036 cu. Cu in cupboard, fuse on shelf out of reach. Is that locked off?

Its all about risk assessment...... now where is my lock off kit??

edit: I have just been working on a 3036 cu. Cu in cupboard, fuse on shelf out of reach. Is that locked off?

I am going with no. If you had the fuse in your pocket or van then yes.
Although theres nothing to stop someone from pulling another fuse and energising the circuit you are working on i suppose.

Electrical incidents have involved cutting through a couple of live cables that I thought were dead (a non-contact voltstick might have warned me otherwise).

Changed that for you.

I have (read, had) a pair of sidecutters that would disagree with your original quote. I once let myself be cajoled into using a voltstick mid cable on a job that was not my own. One of the very few times I have neglected to safely isolate, but one of the biggest reminders. Also the first time I ever used a voltstick, and one has not been in my hand since.

Although theres nothing to stop someone from pulling another fuse and energising the circuit you are working on i suppose.

And I was working in the hallway directly outside the cupboard!

Changed that for you.

I have (read, had) a pair of sidecutters that would disagree with your original quote. I once let myself be cajoled into using a voltstick mid cable on a job that was not my own. One of the very few times I have neglected to safely isolate, but one of the biggest reminders. Also the first time I ever used a voltstick, and one has not been in my hand since.

I'd agree that they're not the most reliable of instruments. I always check that they're functional before and after use, preferably on a live cable if not, then by the static on my clothes!

Safe isolation of a 3036 would require the use of a blanking module after removal of the fuse carrier as you are potentially leaving exposed live parts, as safe isolation is prevent electric shock to anyone not just the person working on the circuit. This would also prevent accidental replacement of a fuse. So in answer to Murdochs question no it isn't safely isolaoted

With those it is always best to remove the cable for that reason.

As others have said in a domestic it is a bit of common sense applied , but if other trades, kids etc, you have to make it so that you are the only one who can get the power back on by whatever means work for you.

Industrial is a different ball game as Rob has said.
Circumstances dictate events

I'd agree that they're not the most reliable of instruments. I always check that they're functional before and after use, preferably on a live cable if not, then by the static on my clothes!

It worked before, it worked after, it still threw me a curveball. You are damn right they are not the most reliable of instruments, or use any reliable method to function.

Safe isolation of a 3036 would require the use of a blanking module after removal of the fuse carrier as you are potentially leaving exposed live parts, as safe isolation is prevent electric shock to anyone not just the person working on the circuit. This would also prevent accidental replacement of a fuse. So in answer to Murdochs question no it isn't safely isolaoted

It may not be 'safely isolated', but would you do it (given the circumstances outlined by Murdoch)?

I see the point about being able to replace a fuse into the slot.
Is not the barrier requirement for both live parts and the front of an enclosure IP2X ? This would be afforded by the fuse base surely, therefore not leaving exposed live parts ?

Reply to Do you lock off? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net